Black Ribbon Eel

Discussion in 'Predatory Fish Discussion' started by Fin-up reefing, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing Member

Hello! So I bought a black ribbon eel one week ago and I read that they don’t do well in captivity, however, I did get mine to eat clam strips on the first day! So is that a good diet for him? Also how long do they usually last in captivity if they are eating well? I couldn’t find much about them...

Tags:

2. lion king

lion king Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

They don't do well mainly because of difficulty in feeding. You already have yours eating so that's good, feeding them can be frustrating and tedious. I've found they are pretty delicate to feed, not like my jeweled. I slice thin strips about the width of the end of his nose. Every thing I slice into strips really no longer than 3", squid, silversides, squid tenacles, shrimp, silverfish. Variety is good, even a little vit soak; I feed every 2-3 days. I find him to be a bit timid to feed and I will let the food go just as I get it to his face, and then he chases it down. In 4 months he's doubled in length and thickness. They are an enjoyable addition if you will have the patience to baby him when it comes to feeding.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  3. Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing Member

Thank you! I appreciate the advice, any suggestions on tank mates?

4. lion king

lion king Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

What size tank, what do you like. Other than something that may harm him, like a trigger; I have him with an angel, lion, betta, filefish, Watching him eat live ghost shrimp, he doesn't seem much of threat. So I think you have a broad spectrum of choices. I'd probably get him eating really good before I add anything else.

5. Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing Member

He’s in a 65 gallon reef ready system, I am purchasing a 220 gallon tank this summer.. I prefer to keep fish that won’t eat inverts. My eel doesn’t bother anyone surprisingly, in fact my cleaner shrimp was cleaning his teeth last night. I have a purple tang and a fancy clownfish with him at the moment.

6. miyags

miyags Valuable Member

I missed buying one a month ago,someone beat me to it.That eel would not go and hide, it swam out in the open all the time.And was eating,I think they were ghost shrimp. and Larry's food

Fin-up reefing likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted