Black Widow Anemone Question!

CrazyCoolFishGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Hope you are having a fantastic day! Just picked up a black widow Anemone for my aquarium about a week ago, and wanted to see some experienced people's thoughts on if he's doing good, and any advice for care. He goes into dark shaded areas at night, and then opens up wide during the day. He's been going all over the place, but I think he found his area. Water parameters have been stable, I've feed him brine shrimp twice this week, and plan on getting the red sea RX stuff to make sure he does even better. This is the most expensive coral I own, and fist time anemone owner, so wanted to ensure that he is doing good! Any additional advice would be much appreciated

20231201_174757.jpg

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all that wander are lost! News move, sometimes a little, sometimes they sit still for months then go for a walk. He looks great, nice color. If you want more, feed him a piece of anchovies or sardine a couple times a month.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. Just make sure to keep everything as stable as possible they don’t like parameter changes at all especially alk. They also don’t like water flow changes in my experience they’ll move if flow changes. Oh and they’re not corals they’re invertebrates.

The Lumpster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with one black widow 2 years ago. That one has now turned into 15. The biggest one is the one in the middle behind the nyger trigger. When fully open it takes up 1/3 the length of the tank. I have only the black widows and mushrooms in this tank so I have moderate flow. The little ones move around all the time until they have found a home they like. Some bury themselves in a crevice as if they don't like any flow, and others prop themselves right in front of a powerhead as you can see in the upper left hand corner of the pic. I have been target feeding each one of them mysis shrimp once a week as well as the regular bits of food they catch from my daily feeding of the fish. Over the last month I have stopped the target feeding with a hope I can slow down the growth a little. They still seem to be flourishing without the target feeding. I am hoping to start selling a few of them soon. They are fun to watch and feed and provide a great movement to the tank. When ever someone comes over, this is the first tank they gravitate to. They can be mesmerizing. The only thing I don't like is my 3 clownfish still host my heater, even after 2 years!! Oh well. I have a 75 gal, 4 year old tank with 2 AI hydra 52 and FX4 canister filter that I clean once a month. I do 10 gal/week water changes using TM Pro salt. Keep your maintenance up and you will be blessed with more black widows!!
20231104_191422.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231001_221409.jpg
20230830_134342.jpg

Top pic is my bwbta and the bottom is my bosses tank it's a 40g breeder. His came from my tank.

I started with 1. I now have 7 between the 2 tanks.

Ariel'sMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with one black widow 2 years ago. That one has now turned into 15. The biggest one is the one in the middle behind the nyger trigger. When fully open it takes up 1/3 the length of the tank. I have only the black widows and mushrooms in this tank so I have moderate flow. The little ones move around all the time until they have found a home they like. Some bury themselves in a crevice as if they don't like any flow, and others prop themselves right in front of a powerhead as you can see in the upper left hand corner of the pic. I have been target feeding each one of them mysis shrimp once a week as well as the regular bits of food they catch from my daily feeding of the fish. Over the last month I have stopped the target feeding with a hope I can slow down the growth a little. They still seem to be flourishing without the target feeding. I am hoping to start selling a few of them soon. They are fun to watch and feed and provide a great movement to the tank. When ever someone comes over, this is the first tank they gravitate to. They can be mesmerizing. The only thing I don't like is my 3 clownfish still host my heater, even after 2 years!! Oh well. I have a 75 gal, 4 year old tank with 2 AI hydra 52 and FX4 canister filter that I clean once a month. I do 10 gal/week water changes using TM Pro salt. Keep your maintenance up and you will be blessed with more black widows!!
20231104_191422.jpg
They are all beautiful!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231104_191422.jpg
Goals

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back