Bleigh's 60 gallon cube

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as custom I don't know. Glass cages has them. Miracles can build one. I’m sure a few others have them. I will more than likely have miracles build mine, so I haven’t really looked around. Miracles can also make a stand that matches your house.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as custom I don't know. Glass cages has them. Miracles can build one. I’m sure a few others have them. I will more than likely have miracles build mine, so I haven’t really looked around. Miracles can also make a stand that matches your house.

I will definitely check them out then.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 130 built by Planet Aquariums here in the Dallas area. The do both off-the-shelf and custom. They also made a custom cabinet for me out of Walnut. I simply sent them photos of furniture I had and wanted to match with, and they sent me a couple of ideas before we settled on a final cabinet.

You can find them at:

They ship anywhere.

BTW - I agree with the earlier post to increase the front-to-back dimension to 30" or more of you are building a 120+ gallon tank ... so much easier to aquascape and gives you a lot more flexibility to manage flow within the tank.

Also - wherever you get your tank, I strongly recommend you think about a "ghost" overflow ... amazingly quiet, and not having the overflow inside the tank frees up precious space. Only drawback is that your tank will have to stand 4" off the wall to accommodate external plumbing (unless you are doing a custom build against a wall and can put the equipment behind the wall)

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 130 built by Planet Aquariums here in the Dallas area. The do both off-the-shelf and custom. They also made a custom cabinet for me out of Walnut. I simply sent them photos of furniture I had and wanted to match with, and they sent me a couple of ideas before we settled on a final cabinet.

You can find them at:

They ship anywhere.

BTW - I agree with the earlier post to increase the front-to-back dimension to 30" or more of you are building a 120+ gallon tank ... so much easier to aquascape and gives you a lot more flexibility to manage flow within the tank.

Also - wherever you get your tank, I strongly recommend you think about a "ghost" overflow ... amazingly quiet, and not having the overflow inside the tank frees up precious space. Only drawback is that your tank will have to stand 4" off the wall to accommodate external plumbing (unless you are doing a custom build against a wall and can put the equipment behind the wall)

My overflows is outside my tank now. I love it that way. I would definitely keep it that way if possible.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Officially switched from a Tunze to a Neptune ATK v2 on the 60 gallon. No real reason other than I wanted to do an ATO on the smaller tank. I figured it would be a good opportunity to try another brand and since I have the APEX stuff, I wanted to see how it all integrates. I have to say, I like being able to look at my phone and see if one sensor says water is on it or if both have water covering it. Works well imo.... I am a big fan of the float valve as a third redundant on it as well. I still have not gotten around to putting in a prettier looking ato reservoir in.

blackbeltmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like being able to see it on my phone but I love the compactness of the SmartATO and as mentioned to you on Facebook, I don't really like float switches or the room that they take up in the sump. Depending on the size of the ATO container that you have room for. Email Trigger Systems at [email protected] and inquire about their blems. I got one of their 10 gallon Sapphire blems for $70 delivered.....https://www.triggersys.com/ts/sapphire_ato/

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like being able to see it on my phone but I love the compactness of the SmartATO and as mentioned to you on Facebook, I don't really like float switches or the room that they take up in the sump. Depending on the size of the ATO container that you have room for. Email Trigger Systems at [email protected] and inquire about their blems. I got one of their 10 gallon Sapphire blems for $70 delivered.....https://www.triggersys.com/ts/sapphire_ato/

The float switches definitely take up a lot of space. I cut it out, but I think I said about 10 times in the filming that I wanted a bigger sump.

blackbeltmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float switches definitely take up a lot of space. I cut it out, but I think I said about 10 times in the filming that I wanted a bigger sump.
You can also get good deals on Trigger blem sumps. That's how I got my Sapphire 26. I saved $150 on it. I am work so haven't had time to watch the video. Only saw this because I checked my email. I sometimes look at Facebook when I am on break. Some days I am not on any social media until after I get home.

mgelb16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been talking about this periodically on my biocube build (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-salty-29g-biocube.541137/), and thought I should just start a thread to track stuff for this tank.

I found this 60 gallon cube on facebook. I thought it would be fun to play with and figure out all the components of keeping a more complex tank before I can start on the showcase tank (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thoughts-in-progress-my-big-tank.592093/#post-5999086 ). The kiddo decided that this was his tank, and the biocube can be mine. It was originally purchased as a gift for his second birthday and he's always corrected me when I call the biocube, my tank. So I guess I should be "honored" that he'd be willing to give it to me as a handy-me-down. :) It is really awesome having my kid just as excited about tanks as I am.

The bottom appears to be non-tempered. I've verified that by looking at it through polarized film and the phone under the glass while wearing polarized glasses trick. So I'll be drilling it in the next couple of days. I also found nice cabinets that will be turned into the stand. I hope to move the biocube and place those tonight. I ordered a sump that can handle up to 125 gallons from acrylic habitats that they started on today (cheers)!

So hopefully I'll be able to start making more progress soon.

The cabinet is going to be about twice as wide as the tank. My original thought was to just have extra counter space.... BUT I keep buying coral frags. :D I am toying with the idea of getting a custom frag tank set up next to the cube and plumbing it into the same sump. This way all the water parameters are the same for easy moving and potentially growing some pieces out. I'm not sure how this would work pragmatically. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions with that?

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4440.jpg
IMG_4175 copy.jpg

Stock List:
  • WWC Snow Leopard Leptastrea from WWC
  • Hulk lepto from WW
  • Hollywood stunner chalice from WWC
  • WWC Bicolor Platygyra from WWC
  • WWC Lich King Zoanthids from WWC
  • Jason Fox High Voltage Platygyra from WWC
  • Flower Petal Montipora from WWC
  • WWC Demon Eye Favia from WWC
  • WWC Awesome Rainbow Platygyra from WWC
  • WWC Graffiti War Coral from WWC
  • WWC Incredible Hulk Leptoseris from WWCI

I've been talking about this periodically on my biocube build (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-salty-29g-biocube.541137/), and thought I should just start a thread to track stuff for this tank.

I found this 60 gallon cube on facebook. I thought it would be fun to play with and figure out all the components of keeping a more complex tank before I can start on the showcase tank (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thoughts-in-progress-my-big-tank.592093/#post-5999086 ). The kiddo decided that this was his tank, and the biocube can be mine. It was originally purchased as a gift for his second birthday and he's always corrected me when I call the biocube, my tank. So I guess I should be "honored" that he'd be willing to give it to me as a handy-me-down. :) It is really awesome having my kid just as excited about tanks as I am.

The bottom appears to be non-tempered. I've verified that by looking at it through polarized film and the phone under the glass while wearing polarized glasses trick. So I'll be drilling it in the next couple of days. I also found nice cabinets that will be turned into the stand. I hope to move the biocube and place those tonight. I ordered a sump that can handle up to 125 gallons from acrylic habitats that they started on today (cheers)!

So hopefully I'll be able to start making more progress soon.

The cabinet is going to be about twice as wide as the tank. My original thought was to just have extra counter space.... BUT I keep buying coral frags. :D I am toying with the idea of getting a custom frag tank set up next to the cube and plumbing it into the same sump. This way all the water parameters are the same for easy moving and potentially growing some pieces out. I'm not sure how this would work pragmatically. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions with that?

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4440.jpg
IMG_4175 copy.jpg

Stock List:
  • WWC Snow Leopard Leptastrea from WWC
  • Hulk lepto from WW
  • Hollywood stunner chalice from WWC
  • WWC Bicolor Platygyra from WWC
  • WWC Lich King Zoanthids from WWC
  • Jason Fox High Voltage Platygyra from WWC
  • Flower Petal Montipora from WWC
  • WWC Demon Eye Favia from WWC
  • WWC Awesome Rainbow Platygyra from WWC
  • WWC Graffiti War Coral from WWC
  • WWC Incredible Hulk Leptoseris from WWC
If that cube can fit a kid, I can't wait to see what fish it can hold! best of luck

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get good deals on Trigger blem sumps. That's how I got my Sapphire 26. I saved $150 on it. I am work so haven't had time to watch the video. Only saw this because I checked my email. I sometimes look at Facebook when I am on break. Some days I am not on any social media until after I get home.
No worries.

@JoshH 's sump is my dream. I'm really hoping to get Kyle @Elder1945 from Adaptive Reef involved for the next sump.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll like the Neptune ATK long term. Just remember that those optical switches can get fouled by algae - like everything else in the sump - and fail to read the water level correctly. I keep a bottle brush next to my sump and give them a quick scrub when I do my routine water changes to avoid this.

The other benefit of using the ATK is that the FMM module it comes with will give you two open ports for additional level sensors or leak detectors. Definitely handy to have!

I added an optical sensor that remains submerged while the pump return section of the sump has enough water in it to avoid sucking air, but opens when the sump drops too low ... then add a line of code to your return pumps to shut off if that sensor opens. This gives you a back up to your ATO in case it fails to top off your sump ... you can also add an email or text alert so you get notified right away.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll like the Neptune ATK long term. Just remember that those optical switches can get fouled by algae - like everything else in the sump - and fail to read the water level correctly. I keep a bottle brush next to my sump and give them a quick scrub when I do my routine water changes to avoid this.

The other benefit of using the ATK is that the FMM module it comes with will give you two open ports for additional level sensors or leak detectors. Definitely handy to have!

I added an optical sensor that remains submerged while the pump return section of the sump has enough water in it to avoid sucking air, but opens when the sump drops too low ... then add a line of code to your return pumps to shut off if that sensor opens. This gives you a back up to your ATO in case it fails to top off your sump ... you can also add an email or text alert so you get notified right away.

That's genius! I have two power bars already, so currently, I have more more ports than outlets.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the Power Bars won't give you ports that work with optical sensors or leak detectors ... those only work on ports on a either an FMM or ASM.

The FMM provides 4 ports ... and if you are using it with the ATK, then the first 2 of those ports are used for the 2 level sensors.

BTW - keep in mind the the float switch might seem like a "third" level of redundancy but it really isn't. The float switch will only shut off the water from the PMUP entering the sump if the water level is too high (in other words, the first two optical switches don't SHUT OFF the PMUP). In my experience, this is very rarely the primary failure mode (although possible). Furthermore, the standard ATK task in Fusion also adds a line of code to the ATO operation that also automatically shuts off the PMUP if it runs for more than 5 mins straight (even if it still doesn't show the two optical sensors closing). Therefore, there are essentially four levels of redundancy for stopping the PMUP from over-filling the sump (first, the low-level sensor ... second, the high-level sensor, ... third, the timer function in Fusion that shuts off the PMUP if it runs continuously ... and then fourth, the float switch)

Meanwhile, there is NO redundancy or back-up to the more common failure mode ... the ATK fails to top-off the sump at all because the reservoir is empty!

That's why it is a great idea to use the two unused ports on the FMM to add two more optical switches ... one to the return section of your sump to detect if the water level drops to the point where you return(s) can suck air, and another to your reservoir itself to detect when it runs out of water. NOTE: the PMUP "V2" has an electrical fail-safe which turns the unit off if it runs dry ... however, frustratingly, this does NOT generate an alarm or error message to the APEX!

Anyway ... food for thought.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the Power Bars won't give you ports that work with optical sensors or leak detectors ... those only work on ports on a either an FMM or ASM.

The FMM provides 4 ports ... and if you are using it with the ATK, then the first 2 of those ports are used for the 2 level sensors.

BTW - keep in mind the the float switch might seem like a "third" level of redundancy but it really isn't. The float switch will only shut off the water from the PMUP entering the sump if the water level is too high (in other words, the first two optical switches don't SHUT OFF the PMUP). In my experience, this is very rarely the primary failure mode (although possible). Furthermore, the standard ATK task in Fusion also adds a line of code to the ATO operation that also automatically shuts off the PMUP if it runs for more than 5 mins straight (even if it still doesn't show the two optical sensors closing). Therefore, there are essentially four levels of redundancy for stopping the PMUP from over-filling the sump (first, the low-level sensor ... second, the high-level sensor, ... third, the timer function in Fusion that shuts off the PMUP if it runs continuously ... and then fourth, the float switch)

Meanwhile, there is NO redundancy or back-up to the more common failure mode ... the ATK fails to top-off the sump at all because the reservoir is empty!

That's why it is a great idea to use the two unused ports on the FMM to add two more optical switches ... one to the return section of your sump to detect if the water level drops to the point where you return(s) can suck air, and another to your reservoir itself to detect when it runs out of water. NOTE: the PMUP "V2" has an electrical fail-safe which turns the unit off if it runs dry ... however, frustratingly, this does NOT generate an alarm or error message to the APEX!

Anyway ... food for thought.

For sure! I was considering the timer as the 4th fail safe.

I actually have my auto reservoir connected to the RODI container. It has a float valve, though is is gravity fed. So essentially my ATO gets auto topped off too. lol Though, I have a valve so I only turn it on when it is about half empty, and turn it back off once it is full. It also allows me to leave it on while I'm away for a few days. Though, I have also had someone stay at the house to keep an eye on things, but one less issue to deal with if the auto doesn't need to be filled by a secondary person.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is always a failsafe for a failsafe in reefing :p
Or you can say behind every failsafe there is a failsafe in reefing. ;)

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always a failsafe for a failsafe in reefing :p
Or you can say behind every failsafe there is a failsafe in reefing. ;)
LOL. If you have it set up right anyways.

Heres another one of my failsafes. I kept overflowing the Ato reservoir, so I installed a float valve. Now both yah is have 5 gallon ato reservoirs and I can connect them to the RODI water barrel and let them fill up and I can go do something else.

Autofill ATO Resevoir

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back