Bloated Longnose Butterflyfish

SuperReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, very long time reader-first time poster on this new account since I haven’t a clue what i used as a login years ago. Hopefully some of the legends such as @Humblefish may chime in on this one.

Purchased a longnose butterfly a month ago from a not so great LFS via a deal I couldn’t pass up. 2 Days later he had ich (no surprise- no other fish in this tank except an 8” chain link moray)

started hyposalinity (now 2 weeks in) 1.010 via calibrated refractometer

Feeding a few times a week freeze dried brine and krill. Giant skimmer for the size of the tank.

Continuous water changes every 2/3 days and maintaining pH 8.3

His bloating has shown up about 5 days ago- i thought it may be bacterial infection so I’m dosing Seachem Neoplex via brine shrimp and Seachem Focus.

Also considered constipation may be a factor due to the high protein diet- so added a small dose of USP grade Epsom Salt. I’ve also attempted to feed him Nori and he pecks at it here and there (green- I heard about the red nori issue with the PBT)

Meanwhile the eel is totally unfazed (no surprise) and I just keep maintiaining good water conditions.

Also noticed some parisites of some sort show up at the same time as the ich.

B9BF4AFD-4D30-477A-8534-99BF9059D76F.jpeg A5D6649F-4334-443A-B703-791C24720628.jpeg CCD96BF1-0E77-4451-A713-F1FD91ADBD51.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So : Epsom salts added to marine aquariums have no benefit. Magnesium sulfate is the fourth highest salt in mixes, so the fish are bathing in it already. It is a freshwater treatment only.
Adding antibiotics to food is also an issue- unless you know the dose. I posted an article here on medicated foods.

Just off the cuff, I suspect that the fish may have edema due to the hyposalinity- fish with kidney issues tend to bloat under hypo.

I saw something in one picture, some odd looking thing at the back of its dorsal fin....any idea what that is?

Jay

OP
OP
S

SuperReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi jay, thanks for the interest and chiming in. I’m not sure what it is- some external parasite perhaps? I read some anecdotal evidence that the Epsom salts (as I’ve read it’s very similar to mag supplements used in my various reef aquaria experiences) so I figured it at worst it wouldn’t hurt.

I find it tough to read up in any info/treatment with edema in saltwater fish- I assume because the damage renders the fish doomed.

I used a hydrogen peroxide bath per instructions found here and it seemed to help remove those who were attached in that place on the fish- very small and white- not ich though. I fear I may have damaged the fish’s organs due to hyposalinity- was very careful to bring the salt down over 4 days.
The fish is still active and willing to eat- but I’ve cut back on food almost entirely and haven’t fed him since this has occurred.
I may physically remove the parasites via tweezers tomorrow.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!!

kyle

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not restrict the fish's food - it needs energy to repair any damaged tissue. I do not think this is constipation.

I would not try to remove parasites with tweezers - anything that you can do that way is better handled through dips. Normally I would say a freshwater dip, but not in the case where the fish may already have osmotic balance issues. You could do a formalin dip (if you have that available), what dose did you use for the hydrogen peroxide?

Jay

OP
OP
S

SuperReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not restrict the fish's food - it needs energy to repair any damaged tissue. I do not think this is constipation.

I would not try to remove parasites with tweezers - anything that you can do that way is better handled through dips. Normally I would say a freshwater dip, but not in the case where the fish may already have osmotic balance issues. You could do a formalin dip (if you have that available), what dose did you use for the hydrogen peroxide?

Jay
I would have to see if I can get formalin. Hydrogen peroxide was 30ml/1gallon 30 minutes- per instructions found here by @Humblefish as well. Will do another dip and get better pics of the parasite.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to see if I can get formalin. Hydrogen peroxide was 30ml/1gallon 30 minutes- per instructions found here by @Humblefish as well. Will do another dip and get better pics of the parasite.
Are you using 3% peroxide? The math is tough, but from what I can see, that works out to be 244 ppm. Humblefish was extrapolating from a paper that reported using peroxide to remove Amyloodinium from thread fin shad. In that paper, the target dose was between 75 and 150 ppm, and 300 ppm caused 100% mortality. I would proceed cautiously!
Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back