Blue clove polyps

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a couple spots in my tank on the rock where blue clove polyps are starting to spread very fast. It looks very blue and is beautiful, but should I allow it to spread? I am afraid of it like xenia afraid....

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue clove polyps can spread like the plague, even growing up glass like Xenia. Fortunately, it often peels off of rocks and glass quite easily so it's usually not too hard to control.

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the small polyp blue Cloves? If so, frag it up and sell! That stuff is hard to get man! :marv

I have heard it can be Xenia-like in the spreading capabilities.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks...

It is the small and VERY blue polyps. Rock looks awesome as it's covered...

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah they stay that small...mine always grew very slow...i see them available from time to time....seems like things come in waves...available everywhere for a while, and then drop off the face of the earth.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see them pretty regularly, usually under the name "blue snowflake cloves." I have a bunch myself that I should frag out. It's around a 4 x 3" colony. They've always grown extremely fast for me. Not a great shot of them attached, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• blue cloves.jpg
    blue cloves.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I am just worried they will take over and take all the sps real estate...They grew up around a chalice frag and now the chalice cant grow, and they are surrounding it all the way up to all the edges...

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yea and that's my dilemma...

They are sooo pretty!

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started them in my twenty about six weeks ago I didn’t think they were going to grow and then I looked and I have three times what I started with. I don’t know if they can chemically attack other coral the only coral I have them growing up against is some green clove polyps. They are not stopping the other polyps from growing but that’s not saying much. It would be great as long as the sps can overtake them when it need the room. All I really know about them is they will completely cover any surface they come in contact with. Good luck and keep us updated. I don’t know what they are really worth but I’ve seen 3-4 inch rocks covered in them sell for $80.

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of them growing all over and they tend to stay really small and against the rocks. I have some growing next to other corals(not SPS yet) and it doesn't seem to bother them much.

Back