Blue Jaw Triggerfish Pair

3" male and female Blue Jaw Triggerfish in a 160g tank (71" L x 25.6" W x 23.6" H)?

• Too Small

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an opportunity to purchase a 3" male and female Blue Jaw Triggerfish.

I want to make sure my tank is big enough to house both as they get bigger. Display tank is 160g (71" L x 25.6" W x 23.6" H) .

Looking for some feedback.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank size is fine, I just would not buy a female bluejaw less than 4" to 4.5". I have seen several cases of bluejaws not displaying their male colors until over 4". I know of 3 friends that had to pull out a bluejaw once both of the pair matured and there were 2 males. While I have tiny male bluejaws display colors, some don't until later and mistaken identity is rather common.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank size is fine, I just would not buy a female bluejaw less than 4" to 4.5". I have seen several cases of bluejaws not displaying their male colors until over 4". I know of 3 friends that had to pull out a bluejaw once both of the pair matured and there were 2 males. While I have tiny male bluejaws display colors, some don't until later and mistaken identity is rather common.

This is very good to know. Thanks.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This fish @ DD is 3-1/4". You are saying that this fish might end up being a male?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish @ DD is 3-1/4". You are saying that this fish might end up being a male?

Yes, I have seen it several times. At that size both male and female can be similarly colored, without the blue beard and the yellow dorsal fin and tail markings. Because people have seen the males in full color much smaller, they will identify this fish as female. I have seen the ones identified as females all of sudden as large as 4.25" color up and actually be a male. I witnessed 1st hand 3 people put a pair in their reefs and very shortly afterwards have a war on their hands, the coloring is a maturing thing, and each fish will mature at a different rate. While uncolored the male is likely in a sub dominant role so the 2 will get along, but once both reach the level of maturity that the coloring indicates, living in an small enclosed space doesn't cut it for 2 males. They don't swap sexes like some other fish, it's just an indication of maturity.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @lion king describes happened to me. Luckily I only wanted 1 trigger. I added a trigger that was confirmed by seller as female. It was not small either around 4 inches. The tail was not bright yellow (male) nor brownish (female). Tail was dull yellow.Over time the tail became more yelllow. In some lighting (usually with natural light/tank lights off) you could see a faint blue shadow as it matured. I contacted seller with pics of changes. Once again they confirmed it was female. They were sincere in their evaluations. It can be very hard to tell.
Gradually it grew into a beautiful male with vibrant male coloration. We really enjoyed him but were lucky we had not purchased the male @ the time. So as advised above get a mature pair.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @lion king describes happened to me. Luckily I only wanted 1 trigger. I added a trigger that was confirmed by seller as female. It was not small either around 4 inches. The tail was not bright yellow (male) nor brownish (female). Tail was dull yellow.Over time the tail became more yelllow. In some lighting (usually with natural light/tank lights off) you could see a faint blue shadow as it matured. I contacted seller with pics of changes. Once again they confirmed it was female. They were sincere in their evaluations. It can be very hard to tell.
Gradually it grew into a beautiful male with vibrant male coloration. We really enjoyed him but were lucky we had not purchased the male @ the time. So as advised above get a mature pair.

I'm going to reach out to @LiveAquaria on the specific fish they are selling on DD and reference this post to show that so many people have been duped. I want their opinion. No where on their website do they state that there is a very good chance that the fish will turnout as a male.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to reach out to @LiveAquaria on the specific fish they are selling on DD and reference this post to show that so many people have been duped. I want their opinion. No where on their website do they state that there is a very good chance that the fish will turnout as a male.
I would approach it in a matter of fact manner, that hobbyists are noticing that immature males are sometimes being labeled as female. I sincerely believe vendors are not trying to dupe anyone. Just not aware of the mistake.
Many people that purchase only 1 immature specimen end up happily with a vibrantly colored male. Not as many customers have tanks with room for a pair where it becomes an issue. When my male was developing I contacted several experienced hobbyists that also mislabeled him as a female. In this hobby we are constantly helping one another learn.

@LiveAquaria has good customer service & is accommodating to customers. Just let share the information with them & they will be appreciative. They want their customers happy as well.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back