Blue Ribbon Eel

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, I just acquired a blue ribbon eel. I know they will not eat corals but rubbing against them is OK? How long will it take him to calm down? The first 12 hours so far he is swimming nonstop looking for escape points. My Naso Tang is very curious and follows him everywhere.
I made a custom escape proof top and covered the top of my overflow prefilter so he does not wind up under the tank in the filter. I saw him going after a small blue damsel. I plan on feeding him Krill once he settles down.

Thanks

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, I just acquired a blue ribbon eel. I know they will not eat corals but rubbing against them is OK? How long will it take him to calm down? The first 12 hours so far he is swimming nonstop looking for escape points. My Naso Tang is very curious and follows him everywhere.
I made a custom escape proof top and covered the top of my overflow prefilter so he does not wind up under the tank in the filter. I saw him going after a small blue damsel. I plan on feeding him Krill once he settles down.

Thanks
Ribbon eels should usually be in FOWLRs, what size is your tank? it should have a tight fitting lid.

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one a long time ago and it's was probably my favorite thing in the tank. He needs a place to hide! That's what he's looking for.

I was fortunate to come across a rock that had a deep 'cave' in it, with only one entry point about 3" across. He'd hise in there all day with just his head poking out. I'd feed him fresh water goldfish. Once in the saltwater they'd start to struggle and he'd sense that. He come out of the cave and chase them down... it was so cool to see him in action.

And they'll jump. Both my black and the blue ribbons both spent a night on the living room carpet (but were okay once place back in the tank).

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I had one a long time ago and it's was probably my favorite thing in the tank. He needs a place to hide! That's what he's looking for.

I was fortunate to come across a rock that had a deep 'cave' in it, with only one entry point about 3" across. He'd hise in there all day with just his head poking out. I'd feed him fresh water goldfish. Once in the saltwater they'd start to struggle and he'd sense that. He come out of the cave and chase them down... it was so cool to see him in action.

And they'll jump. Both my black and the blue ribbons both spent a night on the living room carpet (but were okay once place back in the tank).
When I get my dream 210 or 225, I'm getting one.
That's one of my top most wanted fish.

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1652240112525.png

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back