OP
Lunulata

Lunulata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish store would sell one of these and how much was it? It just seems way too dangerous to keep but to each his own.

I didnt just bought it. I built up the aquarium for a half a year to get everything ready and safe. Actually it was cheap, because they comming with live rocks and the demand is not really there :)

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish store would sell one of these and how much was it? It just seems way too dangerous to keep but to each his own.
They literally only show their blue rings when stressed; they are regular octopi in every other way including coloration during other times, except, unlike other octopic, you can't interact with it.
this is right!
Not just because it worked one time means it works always!
Yeah, exactly.

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the early 2000's when these came in on lists at my LFS. They ordered a few for customers and made them sign waivers... Haha smart on their behalf I suppose...

It's funny how much the hobby has changed... I remember being 12 and purchasing a Torpedo Ray (Electric Ray) which I stuffed into a 55 gallon. It survived a few months and it was pretty incredible. Looking back, I was so young and naive, if I could've purchased a Blue Ring, I would've. Who knows if I would still be alive to create this post though. Hahahaha

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the early 2000's when these came in on lists at my LFS. They ordered a few for customers and made them sign waivers... Haha smart on their behalf I suppose...

It's funny how much the hobby has changed... I remember being 12 and purchasing a Torpedo Ray (Electric Ray) which I stuffed into a 55 gallon. It survived a few months and it was pretty incredible. Looking back, I was so young and naive, if I could've purchased a Blue Ring, I would've. Who knows if I would still be alive to create this post though. Hahahaha
Wow.

I'm also surprised you didn't get electrocuted by the torpedo. (Or did you?)

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no fortunately not! I believe you would have to step on one to get shocked.
Pushing down on one with your hand, or even forcefully trying to move one coudl get you shocked. When I was 12, I would have probably done that at one point or another intentionally or untintentionally.

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know that. That's quite interesting. They're not pit vipers?

The South American and Asian ones are. The African ones (which are usually called bush vipers instead of tree vipers, but they fill the same arboreal niche) are not. I'm not saying they aren't dangerous, but the South American ones would only result in a fatality if you were bitten out in the jungle away from medical care. I think the Asian ones are a little worse, but I'm not as familiar with them. Of course, these aren't animals you buy to handle so you take a lot of precautions if you choose to keep them. In NJ, we can't keep any venomous snakes or lizards so it's not something I'm planning on anytime soon.

Cheers,
rant

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The South American and Asian ones are. The African ones (which are usually called bush vipers instead of tree vipers, but they fill the same arboreal niche) are not. I'm not saying they aren't dangerous, but the South American ones would only result in a fatality if you were bitten out in the jungle away from medical care. I think the Asian ones are a little worse, but I'm not as familiar with them. Of course, these aren't animals you buy to handle so you take a lot of precautions if you choose to keep them. In NJ, we can't keep any venomous snakes or lizards so it's not something I'm planning on anytime soon.

Cheers,
rant

The African Bush Viper... I don't like snakes but I would totally own one of them if the opportunity arose... The dragon like scales and their vibrant coloration is incredible.

jhj159

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've hadone of each before and he was awesome. He never got out of the tank and I nevery hado a lid on my 75 gallon at the time. When I bought him back 10+ years ago, I paid $29.99. Good price so I took him. I would feed him fisb, clams, and shrimp. I used pincers also and when he would come up for food, he would get real bright blue rings and when he was ready he would swim back in his hole where I would just see one eye looking for food all the time. One day I came home and he was gone. I don't know what had happen to him and I looked everywhere for him. I did had to fight off my wife's nephew all the time, he was always trying to mess with it and I had told him before the consequences if you ever gotten bitten. Here I am q5 years later still wondering.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lunulata
Ich würde einen blauen Ring Krake lieben , aber die Gefahr macht mir Angst. Ich wurde von einem Löwen Fisch einmal venomized . Der Schmerz dauerte 12 Stunden. Ich ging für einen Englisch auf Deutsch translatior googeln . Echt cool. Vielen Dank für die gemeinsame Nutzung Ihrer blaue Ringkrake. :D:cool:

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did I miss this thread? Had to see it on Facebook. Such a neat species but I too am scared to try.

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever have any close calls. As in it tried to bite you?.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever have any close calls. As in it tried to bite you?.
You usually can't tell when octopi are trying to bite you specifically. If they latch on to you, you're as good as bitten. In fact, pretty much every octopus has venom, it's just most of them won't affect you at all. You usually can't tell when you've been bitten as there is no pain.

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even tell you how many times I've watched/shared this video... Haha this guy has a death wish. He's literally provoking it.

Here is a little tutorial on how to get bit by a Blue Ringed Octopus ;)

Octopi by nature are reclusive and don't typically "hunt" humans. I've seen them on O. vulgaris on dives and they always flee.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even tell you how many times I've watched/shared this video... Haha this guy has a death wish. He's literally provoking it.

Octopi by nature are reclusive and don't typically "hunt" humans. I've seen them on O. vulgaris on dives and they always flee.

That guy... Was so dang lucky to not have been bitten.
Oh, yeah, octopi are quite shy and won't really hunt people. They'd rather run than fight head on, but if you leave them no choices they'll bite/ink.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This guy is just one brain cell short of qualifying for the village idiot. :confused:

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how long it takes for respiratory paralysis to occur after a bite? The venom itself does not kill you, it just acts as a paralytic.... If o remember correctly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back