Blue ringed Octopus / Hapalochlaena Lunulata

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hearing that you'll be dead from the bite of a BR in an hour.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how long it takes for respiratory paralysis to occur after a bite? The venom itself does not kill you, it just acts as a paralytic.... If o remember correctly.
Well it causes all of your muscles, including you lungs to become paralyzed, soooo.
The onset of the symptoms are within 5-10 minutes.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also heard around 5min. I also believe it is possible to survive a bite as long as you receive CPR the entire time, roughly 4hrs until the toxin wears off.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also heard around 5min. I also believe it is possible to survive a bite as long as you receive CPR the entire time, roughly 4hrs until the toxin wears off.
Actually it can last between 24-48 hours, or so I've heard.

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would not need CPR (your heart is still beating fine) but you would need respiratory support (ventilator).

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would not need CPR (your heart is still beating fine) but you would need respiratory support (ventilator).
False, your heart is NOT beating fine. Tetrodotoxin does, in fact, interfere with your heartbeat, but it does not stop it outright. That is the reason people are able to survive by respiratory support. Do also remember that the temporary paralysis caused by the toxin can easily cause the person to choke where they otherwise would not have, so chest compressions are ultimately recommended in the case of a blue ring octopus bite. Thus, CPR is important to administer at the beginning.

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current national guidelines for dealing with a non-responsive/unconscious person, doing chest compressions on someone with a palpable pulse can do more harm
than good (https://www.acls.net/bls-als-algorithm.htm): ...When a victim is unresponsive to a tap on the chest (ask “Are you ok?”) then the healthcare provider should observe the victim for breathing for 5 to 10 seconds. If respirations are present, the victim should be attached to a cardiac monitor. Otherwise, the HCP should activate EMS and retrieve the AED by himself or by sending a second rescuer.

The pulse check is the third step in the algorithm. The pulse should be checked for no less than 5 seconds and no more than 10 seconds. If there is a definite pulse, then rescue breathing should be done for one second every six seconds with a recheck every 2 minutes.

If the victim does not have a pulse, or there is a question as to whether it is present, then compressions should be initiated at the rate of 30:2, with 2 breaths every 30 compressions. Compressions should be provided at a rate of 100-120/min. When the AED or defibrillator is available, then the HCP should check the victim’s rhythm. If it is shockable, then 1 shock should be given with immediate CPR instituted for 2 minutes, beginning rapidly (within seconds) of the shock...

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current national guidelines for dealing with a non-responsive/unconscious person, doing chest compressions on someone with a palpable pulse can do more harm
than good (https://www.acls.net/bls-als-algorithm.htm): ...When a victim is unresponsive to a tap on the chest (ask “Are you ok?”) then the healthcare provider should observe the victim for breathing for 5 to 10 seconds. If respirations are present, the victim should be attached to a cardiac monitor. Otherwise, the HCP should activate EMS and retrieve the AED by himself or by sending a second rescuer.

The pulse check is the third step in the algorithm. The pulse should be checked for no less than 5 seconds and no more than 10 seconds. If there is a definite pulse, then rescue breathing should be done for one second every six seconds with a recheck every 2 minutes.

If the victim does not have a pulse, or there is a question as to whether it is present, then compressions should be initiated at the rate of 30:2, with 2 breaths every 30 compressions. Compressions should be provided at a rate of 100-120/min. When the AED or defibrillator is available, then the HCP should check the victim’s rhythm. If it is shockable, then 1 shock should be given with immediate CPR instituted for 2 minutes, beginning rapidly (within seconds) of the shock...
I'm a trained and licensed lifeguard, but I do believe it is important for people to see this sort of information. Everybody should be trained and know this honestly.

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an Anesthesiologist, CPR certainly has its place but the main thing for a victim who is in paralysis is to support their respiratory drive, anyone who has a BRO should have an Ambubag ( http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/80184-overview ) on hand , so a first responder/rescuer can ventilate them.

OP
OP
Lunulata

Lunulata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an Anesthesiologist, CPR certainly has its place but the main thing for a victim who is in paralysis is to support their respiratory drive, anyone who has a BRO should have an Ambubag ( http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/80184-overview ) on hand , so a first responder/rescuer can ventilate them.

Great to know for everyone who is looking for a BRO.
Ist not only the cost of the BRO, ist also all the needed equipment to make him a good living (even he wont life Long), as well as the own safety!

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any future octopus keepers remember all of them are venomous. Even the temperate species like the two spot octopus

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any future octopus keepers remember all of them are venomous. Even the temperate species like the two spot octopus

Yep! That's how they immobilise their prey. I remember reading the blue ring was the only one that was a danger to humans though. Not sure how true that is. Perhaps it's the only common one that is a danger.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! That's how they immobilise their prey. I remember reading the blue ring was the only one that was a danger to humans though. Not sure how true that is. Perhaps it's the only common one that is a danger.

I believe you are right. Unless you habe a severe reaction most octopus venom wont cause issues

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back