Blue sapphire damsel aggression?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced my sapphire damsel AFTER my 2 clowns and AFTER my clean up crew. Then I added a foxface rabbit AFTER the damsel. Now I recently caught my damsel chasing my female clown and now it's trying to intimidate the foxface. Should I remove the sapphire? Here's a video I managed to catch. The sapphire is constantly swimming around and shoving itself into everyone else's face. I was told they are one of the few good community damsels. I did introduce it with 2 others but they sadly died. He's the last one remaining.

My foxface has been in my tank 3 weeks and won't leave the corner. I think the sapphire is bullying it into the corner.

Attachments

• 20220725_171129.mp4
    57.8 MB

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say from the video, but I really don't think the foxface cares about the damsel. He may be hanging out in that corner because the seaweed clip is there. The damsel is definitely doing the "take notice of me" thing with the raised fins, but from what I can see he's just trying to establish swim zones. What size is your tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallons. The damsel swims to the foxface whenever it goes to move. When I got the foxface from the lfs he wasn't EXTREMELY timid
It's hard to say from the video, but I really don't think the foxface cares about the damsel. He may be hanging out in that corner because the seaweed clip is there. The damsel is definitely doing the "take notice of me" thing with the raised fins, but from what I can see he's just trying to establish swim zones. What size is your tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallons. The damsel swims to the foxface whenever it goes to move. When I got the foxface from the lfs he wasn't EXTREMELY timid
It looks like the damsel is herding it - just from what I observe with my own damsels (I have three sapphire and one azure).

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an issue? I don't want my foxface stuck in a corner
Try moving the seaweed clip somewhere else in the tank the next time you refill it and see if that influences the behavior of the foxface. I have a very small foxface in my tank and he pretty much goes everywhere (even with the four damsels), but he does have his favorite "haunts" where he hangs out frequently (usually the center of the tank).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try moving the seaweed clip somewhere else in the tank the next time you refill it and see if that influences the behavior of the foxface. I have a very small foxface in my tank and he pretty much goes everywhere (even with the four damsels), but he does have his favorite "haunts" where he hangs out frequently (usually the center of the tank).
Hmm, ok I'll give it a go. I'm not sold on this fish. I have a home willing to take him so he better start behaving

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back