Blue Tang won't each algae. How often should it be fed?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue tang is happy and fat, but I feed 3 times a day because she still isn't grazing algae from a clip.

I've tried several different types, and soaking in garlic/selcon.

Even when I dice it up and throw it in with flakes, she will get tricked and then spit it out.

How often should I hand feed the tank to make sure she stays healthy?

Thanks

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has she been in the tank? I had the same issue with a 2 spot bristletooth and ended up acclimating her to the light before she started eating. Now she's a hog and grazes all day, plus tears up the pellets daily. Algae on a clip is gone within a couple hours.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How Are you trying to feed it? I was using a vegi clip and struggled for several weeks, then someone told me to leave the clip in the tank for a week and then put on some nori. May take some time for it to get use to it.

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How Are you trying to feed it? I was using a vegi clip and struggled for several weeks, then someone told me to leave the clip in the tank for a week and then put on some nori. May take some time for it to get use to it.

Trieda 2 different style clips with two different seaweeds, She doesn't have a problem with the clip, she just spits it out.

I've also tried breaking it up into pieces and mixing it in with flake foods. That tricks her into eating them. but she knows and spits it back out.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 Tangs and not one will Nori, all eat algae pellets and Vitalis rings, frozen as well. They are all fat, healthy and most of them have been with me years.

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 Tangs and not one will Nori, all eat algae pellets and Vitalis rings, frozen as well. They are all fat, healthy and most of them have been with me years.

How often do you feed your tank? That's my main concern. Is 1-2 times a day fine, or do they need to be constantly grazing?

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed your tank? That's my main concern. Is 1-2 times a day fine, or do they need to be constantly grazing?
My lights ramp up 12-2 so they get their first shot of platinum pellets around 3:30-4pm, about 6pm I give them frozen and add a ring to the tank for them to pick at, most times about 8:30-9pm another shot of pellets, but algae pellets.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back