Bobbit

ReefingCanuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbit? Saw it snatch a tiny snail and snap at a zoa. Bad pic as it move very fast and is camera shy.

D457D476-DB5D-45E2-BF9A-E99374A79A2B.jpeg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbit worms build a tube made out of small rubble. They stay in that tube and only come out to attack. They are an ambush predator. The tube is distinctive, if you know what it looks like you can't miss it.

What you have looks to me to be either a fireworm or bristle worm. They can be pests but they clean things up well and are easy to catch and export. If you have them you will never get rid of them all, nor do you want to. Just keep them in balance and you are good.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbit worms build a tube made out of small rubble. They stay in that tube and only come out to attack. They are an ambush predator. The tube is distinctive, if you know what it looks like you can't miss it.

What you have looks to me to be either a fireworm or bristle worm. They can be pests but they clean things up well and are easy to catch and export. If you have them you will never get rid of them all, nor do you want to. Just keep them in balance and you are good.
yeah I agree but it's honestly hard to tell without a better pic

OP
OP
ReefingCanuk

ReefingCanuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is tough to see, but it's head is on the top left, you can see the antennas. This was moments before it snapped at the zoa head. It's in the live rock that is full of coral, so I can't take it out. Will try a trap, fingers crossed.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is tough to see, but it's head is on the top left, you can see the antennas. This was moments before it snapped at the zoa head. It's in the live rock that is full of coral, so I can't take it out. Will try a trap, fingers crossed.
Also bobbits don't care about anything that isn't moving.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep bristle worms in check ?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep bristle worms in check ?
Export them. I have tons and they come out when I feed my LPS. Just capture them and ...
I like to see baby brittle stars asterinas amphipods etc ... Food competition is good for balance.

As an aside I think the bobbit worm I had was feeding on the bristle worms so you could try that. :p

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yah, doesn't look like a bobbit but it doesn't look like it belongs either. I would remove.
This is a eunicid worm
I am so sorry @ReefingCanuk . i had to destroy a rock to remove my eunice. The bad part is, they latch onto their den with their tail. Should they be caught, tail breaks off and grows a new head.

You have a battle on your hands.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a eunicid worm
I am so sorry @ReefingCanuk . i had to destroy a rock to remove my eunice. The bad part is, they latch onto their den with their tail. Should they be caught, tail breaks off and grows a new head.

You have a battle on your hands.
Bobbits make a burrow out of rubble. Do these do the same?

The bobbit I had was under my Acan. I pulled the Acan and then squirted freshwater in the tube. It quickly found it didn't like that much and fell into the dish I had underneath to escape. The best part was when I put the bobbit in the ring with a clown trigger at the LFS. Bobbit 0 Trigger 1

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bobbits make a burrow out of rubble. Do these do the same?
Not all eunices will form a tunnel. Most do. The one I fought with chose to live in the rocks. Inside the rock was a lot of mucus that looked similar to spider dens. I had several others living in the sand bed. Both different species.

OP
OP
ReefingCanuk

ReefingCanuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all eunices will form a tunnel. Most do. The one I fought with chose to live in the rocks. Inside the rock was a lot of mucus that looked similar to spider dens. I had several others living in the sand bed. Both different species.
Darn! This guy likes the tunnels of the live rock, it is very porous. Pokes it head out of different openings and snapping at snails and zoas. My clown goby hangs out there, so worry it will get attacked once this monster gets bigger. It's also my show piece rock with encrusting and other corals. Hope the tube trap works.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back