"Bonded" Helfrichi Pair

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating a Divers Den Helfrichi pair, but have read mixed things about these "bonded pairs." I hear they eventually will turn on one another and one will most likely die. Any ideas about these filefish pairs?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never had more than one in a tank. I've seen some tanks though with more than one. I've also seen tanks with more than one kind of firefish and they tend to ignore each other. I think if planning on having more than one, a bigger tank (90g + with 48" length) should be a min. I'm not sure if a "bonded" pair will end up being a pair in the long run.

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bonded helfichi pair, then one died couple weeks later, I made a mistake when I put them in the tank and i had another firefish in the tank I think he killed him because he picked on them all the time now 2 years later I still have the single helfrichi and he seem to be pairing up with the purple firefish they hang out together sleep under one rock so who knows they could be gay as far as I know :) and they did fight for a long time

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have any experience with these pairs?

Notrightnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a pair but they turn on each other after couple weeks of honey moon. I think the reason was that the six line wrasse was being mean toward them. if your tank is big and the fish are peaceful than they will do good because the guy that i bought from had them for 1 year. Just dont stress them out.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a bonded pair of Helfrichis from LA/DD. They were fine for about 6 months and then all hell broke loose, ended up with 1. Peaceful tankmates- garden eels, pipefish, and a pair of mandarins.

Pretty sure they are just selling a pair of juveniles, once they reach sexual maturity is when they turn on each other.

Steelersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a pair from Diver's Den early 2012. Initially, the fish got along fine, even in a smaller quarantine tank. Once moved to the larger display tank, the bigger Helfrichi starting chasing the smaller one. They made their homes in separate sides of the tank. About a month ago, the smaller fish was getting harassed even more. Unfortunately, I could not catch either fish to remove one to a different tank. About two weeks ago, the smaller one was no longer around. This was my experience, but I am sure that some people have had success with keeping a pair. I hope this helps a little.

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they are best alone. That kind of stinks. I only have a 45 so doesn't seem worth the risk. Thanks for the feedback ;)

D311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pair from divers den for 1 month now. They just got out of QT which they spent every minute right next to eachother. I hope they don't turn on eachother when they mature... So far so good in a 40g breeder. They are still 2 pees in a pod.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard people tried trio and have success.

For how long? Time and time again I've seen people buy multiples of these fish, and time and time again they eventually end up with 1 firefish.

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a purple firefish, and a hefrich firefish in a 45 cube. Been in my tank together with no issue for about 8 months. Previously they were in a 34g together for about a year I believe. Great fish, and hangout together all the time.

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. I feel like I heard about a helfrichi and purple together before with no problems. Maybe there's something to that. Sounds like time is the key. I read everwhere fine at first, death later. 1 year and 8 months seems like awhile though. Wonder if they forgot each other during the move ;)

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a purple firefish, and a hefrich firefish in a 45 cube. Been in my tank together with no issue for about 8 months. Previously they were in a 34g together for about a year I believe. Great fish, and hangout together all the time.

I don't have a lot of experience with keeping different species together longterm. I have however seen people start out with 3 or more and it take over a year for the last two to turn on one another...

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of regular fire fish for a long time, they had a hole dug out under a rock and the female would get fat once in a while like she was holding eggs but I never tried to look or anything. I figured it was best to just leave them alone. If you get a true female/male pair IMO they will bond, problem is you can't tell the sex cause they all look the same.

D311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it didn't take long for my "bonded" pair to turn on eachother. They are now seperated and need to find one a new home... :cry:

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it didn't take long for my "bonded" pair to turn on eachother. They are now seperated and need to find one a new home... :cry:

So sorry to hear that :( I actually just settled with one becasue I was too nervous to try two. I wish you would have been able to prove me wrong. Hopefully you'll find one a new home.

D311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's pretty lame. You pay extra for the pair and then they shaft you. I like divers den and all. Just ticked off and they have no resolution. I should ask for the $30 that you pay extra for the "bonded" pair that were trying to kill eachother. But letting it go.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.8%
Back