Bonehead Alert!

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like an idiot I just hit my new Acropora frag with the blade of my glass scraper taking off a chunk. Is there something I should be doing or do I let it heal on its own? I’ll post a photo in a few minutes.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pics!

But worst case scenario you can always clip it ( depending on where you nicked it) right below the spot you took the chunk out if it starts to stn/rtn.

OP
OP
Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4A22FF6A-32B2-4BAC-B2B9-89DED42D4B01.jpeg

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had SPS frag‘s that have been run over by some larger fish in my system, broken off tips, you name it. As long as your water conditions are steady I see no problem with that piece making a full recovery.

i.e. leave it alone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do nothing. But do move structure away from glass for future cleaning

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell for sure from the pic, but that coral doesn’t look happy or healthy. Can you take a clearer pic? The coral will heal with zero issues if it’s healthy and your chemistry is good.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell for sure from the pic, but that coral doesn’t look happy or healthy. Can you take a clearer pic? The coral will heal with zero issues if it’s healthy and your chemistry is good.
I have to agree, i think i see a few white spots like it was nibbled at or bumped around previously. I hope they aall heal up for him though.

OP
OP
Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried for 15 minutes to get a good pic, but I think it’s too far toward the center of the tank for my iPhone to take a good pic.

Parameters were stable for a while at 7.5 dkh, 450 ca and 1350 mg. I started dosing brs alk to try and raise alk closer to 8.5dkh. When I did that, Coralline growth significantly increased and alk tanked. Calcium spiked to >500. I’ve been having a hard time keeping Alk above 6 since. I’ve lost two montis since with a third teetering on the brink of death. I just put together a dripper and will increase alk solution from the 100 a day I was doing to 150 ml a day. I know how important stability is, I’m just struggling a bit in execution.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If your tank is healthy and parameters are stable, this will be a zero issue. Happens in the wild all the time. But, the frag is small with less reserves built up so leave it alone and dont stress it anymore. I have broken pieces offf of frags and all healed just fine.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the coral is healthy itll heal in a day or two.. ive broken acroporas in half before by accident and they healed just fine in a matter or days depending how thick they were

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back