Borbonius dead

ericomotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is my first interaction on the forum, but I follow it very often! I have had two Anthias Borbonius for 35 days. They were on a QT for 25 days, with cupramine. 10 days ago there is no more copper! I transferred them to another room for observation. Only them in the tank. 4 days ago one of them stopped eating. Today she is gone. I have some photos, shortly after death. For the past few days, she had been breathing heavily. The one that is alive, there is no sign of illness, she is eating and breathing well, but she is not walking much! Could anyone give a guess, based on the report and photos I will send, what could have ended up with my Borbonius?

IMG_4675.jpeg
IMG_4668.jpeg
IMG_4669.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is my first interaction on the forum, but I follow it very often! I have had two Anthias Borbonius for 35 days. They were on a QT for 25 days, with cupramine. 10 days ago there is no more copper! I transferred them to another room for observation. Only them in the tank. 4 days ago one of them stopped eating. Today she is gone. I have some photos, shortly after death. For the past few days, she had been breathing heavily. The one that is alive, there is no sign of illness, she is eating and breathing well, but she is not walking much! Could anyone give a guess, based on the report and photos I will send, what could have ended up with my Borbonius?

IMG_4675.jpeg
IMG_4668.jpeg
IMG_4669.jpeg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I see a bit of fin damage, but not enough to cause death.

What level of Cupramine were the fish at?

I usually follow a copper with praziquantel for flukes. Gill flukes will cause rapid breathing.

In the picture of the fish with its gills - they are really pale. That can be from gill flukes, but they also fade if a fish has been dead for more than a few hours.

Jay

OP
OP
ericomotta

ericomotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I see a bit of fin damage, but not enough to cause death.

What level of Cupramine were the fish at?

I usually follow a copper with praziquantel for flukes. Gill flukes will cause rapid breathing.

In the picture of the fish with its gills - they are really pale. That can be from gill flukes, but they also fade if a fish has been dead for more than a few hours.

Jay
Thanks for the welcome, Jay. I was treated with Cupramine at 0.3 for 21 days. Everyone was fine during this period, perhaps Borbonius who died eating less, but he was apparently fine. I don't have Prazipro hands on. It is very difficult to find it in Brazil. But I have 37% formaldehyde and some antibiotics available. I'm worried about the other anthia. I want to prevent the same thing from happening to her.

By the way, the photos were taken shortly after his death. I was watching, in agony, the little animal's final moments!
IMG_4694.jpeg
IMG_4693.jpeg
IMG_4692.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine really needs to be dosed at full dose (all copper meds do). That is 0.50 ppm. Running lower than that can allow some protozoan diseases to continue on.

Is the second anthias showing any symptoms?

Jay

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video clipof the other one that is still alive might be helpful with close ups . Are you using Rodi water , temp, what type of filtration, is this a relatively new tank . Any traces of ammonia ??

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine really needs to be dosed at full dose (all copper meds do). That is 0.50 ppm. Running lower than that can allow some protozoan diseases to continue on.

Jay
I see you got snow this past week Jay !! stay warm ! :grimacing-face:

OP
OP
ericomotta

ericomotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
The second anthia does not show any signs or symptoms. She is apparently fine, except for a bruise near her right eye, it looks like a bruise, after a trauma, but she is swimming, without respiratory effort and eating, active!

A video clipof the other one that is still alive might be helpful with close ups . Are you using Rodi water , temp, what type of filtration, is this a relatively new tank . Any traces of ammonia ??
Yes, I use RoDi water, a 3-month QT tank, with rear sump and some biological filtration media, seachem alert card and undetectable ammonia test. I do partial water changes every two days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of the anthia that is alive.

Borbonius

This fish has moderate exophthalmia (popeye) which is really common in this species when first acquired. This is most often caused by mechanical damage during transport. If it doesn't become too severe, it usually resolves in a few weeks to a month. Watch for silver air bubbles in the eye, and try to avoid additional handling of this fish.

Jay

OP
OP
ericomotta

ericomotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish has moderate exophthalmia (popeye) which is really common in this species when first acquired. This is most often caused by mechanical damage during transport. If it doesn't become too severe, it usually resolves in a few weeks to a month. Watch for silver air bubbles in the eye, and try to avoid additional handling of this fish.

Jay
Is there another way to treat gill worms without access to Prazipro? Thank you very much for your contributions, Jay. Your help is very valuable.

I'm keeping an eye on Borbonius's eye hehehe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there another way to treat gill worms without access to Prazipro? Thank you very much for your contributions, Jay. Your help is very valuable.

I'm keeping an eye on Borbonius's eye hehehe

Yes - hyposalinity is actually a better treatment for most species of flukes than praziquantel is:

Jay

OP
OP
ericomotta

ericomotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - hyposalinity is actually a better treatment for most species of flukes than praziquantel is:

Jay
Thank you very much, Jay!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back