Bored!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In week 2 of 6 week cycle! First tank and it is extremely hard being patient! Any tips?!
My good friend @Diesel once said
"Nothing good happens fast in this hobby only bad things happen overnight, if you think you go slow, slow down even more" and truer words have never been said. Patients is a virtue, especially in this hobby. I know it's a pain to wait, but in the long run when you have a happy and thriving reef it'll all be worth it.

OP
OP
Zilongsrc

Zilongsrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My good friend @Diesel once said
"Nothing good happens fast in this hobby only bad things happen overnight, if you think you go slow, slow down even more" and truer words have never been said. Patients is a virtue, especially in this hobby. I know it's a pain to wait, but in the long run when you have a happy and thriving reef it'll all be worth it.

Very true. It’s taking all my strength to be patient lol. I have been waiting 6 years to start this tank. Finally learned enough and saved enough to start a 45g tank. But thanks for the words of wisdom.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some more research, Go to Live aquaria & work on a fish /coral wish list . Read up on these cool animals. The time will go by for Ya. That might keep Ya busy for a couple hours though. 4 more week?

Script_Kitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will actually cycle a lot faster if you sit there and stare at it.

Apparently the micro orginisims can see you watching and are less lazy or something.

Unfortunatly, the same technique dosnt seem to work on the mailbox. I have been staring at it for the last 3 months, and still no package.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Do something else with your time and then the time flies by! I have other hobbies to help! (Cars for instance which are perhaps more expensive, unfortunately)

Keep us posted with your build with lots of photos! :)

Rookie_reefer_420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch BRS YouTube channel... they have awesome videos on everything saltwater related. 52 weeks of reefing on the brs160 is an excellent videos series to watch and also their ULM tank trials which they are currentlyaking vidoes for now. Tons of content and good info. Cheers and welcome to R2R!!

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Having recently completed our tank cycle a couple months ago, I can share that I spent my waiting time:

- Reading everything I could find to create a livestock list, and then crossing Linckia stars and the 10-pack of tangs off the list
- Studying all about the ugly, algae-plagued stages of cycling yet to come
- Enjoying R2R’s resident chemist, Dr. Holmes-Farley, and his highly detailed and fact-filled articles, and his thoughtful responses to new-guy questions. I especially enjoyed reading some spirited debate from others who thought they knew more than Randy.
- Road-tripping on weekends to potential reef shops as far away as a couple hours drive time, met some awesome LFS owners and staff, and then inadvertently stepped into some all-freshwater or pond shops, too
- Shopping all the top online retailers, then got fixated on the BRS videos and laughed about Ryan’s transformation from quiet, boring, seemingly uninterested presenter to the well-coached, hand-waving reef aficionado that he’s become. But then I still open up my Amazon and eBay apps on my iPad to see if anyone’s cheaper than BRS on a particular product.

I even tried other hobbies as mentioned earlier, but as I had a bunch of friends join me sailing around the Bay, I kept thinking about the Coral Farmers Market I was missing!

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back