Bought from LiveAquaria Red Coris Wrasse wrong fish maybe?

SaintGbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone so I just bought from LiveAquaria everything arrived healthy but I had ordered an adult medium sized Red Coris Wrasse and what I got was a juvenile which is absolutely fine not a big deal but the more I look at it the more I think it looks like a juvenile Queen Coris wrasse or a Formosa Wrasse…How do you tell the difference between them all? Did i get a red coris wrasse?

Please if anyone knows I would really like to know.

2860681B-0A8C-4799-8680-31739E5072D7.jpeg

OP
OP
SaintGbar

SaintGbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone so I just bought from LiveAquaria everything arrived healthy but I had ordered an adult medium sized Red Coris Wrasse and what I got was a juvenile which is absolutely fine not a big deal but the more I look at it the more I think it looks like a juvenile Queen Coris wrasse or a Formosa Wrasse…How do you tell the difference between them all? Did i get a red coris wrasse?

Can anyone help?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SaintGbar

SaintGbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a clown wrasse to me
Alright thank you for replying. I Just was unsure because it seems to have a lot of black in it and that black spot and all the ones I’ve seen in pics online and on YouTube seem to be way more orange without the black or that spot. I appreciate it!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

This is a juvenile clown wrasse which will transition to yellow tail version

From this:
1678654113338.png

To This

1678654089016.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SaintGbar

SaintGbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello anyone out there i was looking at my fish again and i was on the live aquaria site today in the Divers Den and they have a ton of Formosa Wrasse juveniles that look exactly like mine which is not what i ordered from them. I was supposed to get a red corris wrasse. Can anyone look at it and tell me what they think

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SaintGbar

SaintGbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me this fish looks like a Queen Coris juvenile but i could be wrong i just want someone else’s opinion

Attachments

• EA474CF9-E7D7-436B-9362-CAC9D5663EB1.jpeg
    EA474CF9-E7D7-436B-9362-CAC9D5663EB1.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 35
  • F8946377-8CBE-4C79-874F-2B7A1771CB3A.jpeg
    F8946377-8CBE-4C79-874F-2B7A1771CB3A.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have been sent a similar fish.
The fish you have is Coris formosa which WILL get larger and more aggressive. And there is a big size difference between the two species;
Coris gaimard generally maxes out at 1’-14” whilst Coris formosa will happily get to that 16-20” range in captivity.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SaintGbar

SaintGbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have been sent a similar fish.
The fish you have is Coris formosa which WILL get larger and more aggressive. And there is a big size difference between the two species;
Coris gaimard generally maxes out at 1’-14” whilst Coris formosa will happily get to that 16-20” range in captivity.
Great and I can’t catch him he’s too fast and I can’t ship him back i dont know what to do. I had a feeling it just didn’t look right to me

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a juvenile clown wrasse which will transition to yellow tail version

From this:
1678654113338.png

To This

1678654089016.png
Assuming you mean that the other ‘version’ of this ‘species’ is this;
5C8D2428-3E2C-4FF6-808E-49F946082288.jpeg

You are incorrect unfortunately. The species you say is the ‘yellow version’ is a completely different species and only has one ‘version’. Coris gaimard grows to have a bright yellow tail as a mature female but the true ‘adult’ (male) phase of Coris gaimard is this;
A7A2D065-76FC-48BD-9D25-EBEA0D2D7EDA.jpeg

This phase is the final phase of any wrasses life. The terminal male phase. This is the final adult phase of a Coris gaimard (and any wrasse in general).
The life cycle of a wrasse is;
They’re born as females (Some species have a juvenile colour form but some don’t) then they mature and some change to a mature female colour phase. Then some will transition and only a few generally complete it in the wild but in captivity if a wrasse transitions it will complete that transition.

I hope this clears anything up :)

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great and I can’t catch him he’s too fast and I can’t ship him back i dont know what to do. I had a feeling it just didn’t look right to me
Unfortunately many distributors have incorrect IDs and I’ve seen Coris formosa be a victim of this too many times… Even in LFSs they often don’t warn people about them (I know where I’ve worked and do work we warn people about incorrect IDs and try to correct them but it doesn’t always work as we have to sell them under the name they come in as).
Hopefully as the hobby progresses more people will see these incorrect IDs and correct them…

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SaintGbar

SaintGbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately many distributors have incorrect IDs and I’ve seen Coris formosa be a victim of this too many times… Even in LFSs they often don’t warn people about them (I know where I’ve worked and do work we warn people about incorrect IDs and try to correct them but it doesn’t always work as we have to sell them under the name they come in as).
Hopefully as the hobby progresses more people will see these incorrect IDs and correct them…
Well it frustrates me because it clearly says in the order Adult Red Coris Wrasse and they sent this juvenile instead which would have been fine if it were the right one so I dont know how you mess that up and LiveAquaria should know better. Now im stuck with this and i dont know how it will behave with my other fish someday when its clearly bigger

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well it frustrates me because it clearly says in the order Adult Red Coris Wrasse and they sent this juvenile instead which would have been fine if it were the right one so I dont know how you mess that up and LiveAquaria should know better. Now im stuck with this and i dont know how it will behave with my other fish someday when its clearly bigger
If its California facility, they are notorious for doing this as well as sending a 2" fish as a 4.5" fish and fish with damage.

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll second the Coris formosa. Both species rarely reach anywhere near full size in captivity and are very closely related. However I’d be pretty annoyed myself as the gaimard is the safer and prettier wrasse IMO. A good store would send the correct fish free of charge or give a full refund including shipping. However this is LA.

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back