"Bounce" millepora??

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse the ugly acros in this shot. They aren't very colorful in comparison to the rest of my tank :) The interesting thing though, if you look closely at this millepora, is that it appears to have that cancerous bounce growth! It has been like this for months. Very strange.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse the ugly acros in this shot. They aren't very colorful in comparison to the rest of my tank :) The interesting thing though, if you look closely at this millepora, is that it appears to have that cancerous bounce growth! It has been like this for months. Very strange.

Something is definitely up...that mille doesnt look happy.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this same thing happen with many of my acros. Tissue bubbles and can eventually slough off...not a good thing! Can't say anyone has pinned down a cause but some have noticed it with elevated Mg.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've seen this several times over the years. I believe it is a bacterial tissue infection. If the bubble ruptures it may very well lead to RTN.

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really concerned about it since this is just a brown turd taking up valuable space haha. I just thought it was interesting. Has been like this for months.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really concerned about it since this is just a brown turd taking up valuable space haha. I just thought it was interesting. Has been like this for months.
I will say I have seen it "spread" to other acros so I would watch the others carefully :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat consensus is that it is a bacterial infection, although others have opined with high calcium and also non-stable magnesium, but there are still people who have the bubbles with normal levels of calcium and mag. My memory is not 100% on this, but I think that it was Dr. Ron or somebody at WWM that was for-sure convinced that this was a bacterial issue and that it can spread.

I would stop doing carbon, if you are... this can feed any bacteria... good and bad. I would also consider getting it out of the tank, or at least fragging that part off. I would just worry about it spreading.

It is hard to find threads on this but searching for SPS/Acropora and bubble is the best. I wish that it had an actual name.

Here are some more photos, but not really any good conclusions.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661564&highlight=bubbles

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen once on my Purple Monster years ago. They were more blisters than bubbles though. The blisters ended up popping and there was tissue loss underneath. Coral healed afterwards.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back