Brad's 90 gallon reef

Brad T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would post my new reef project and give some info. First, a little history on myself and the hobby.

Back around '99-'05, I started a reef tank (92 corner) that grew into a 220 with 3 175MH lights and a DSB. It ran successfully, mostly, until 05, when for some reason I got out if the hobby.

Around December of '18, I was gifted a 90 gallon reef tank setup. My wife and I had been missing our 220, so I accepted, and set it up on Christmas. You won't believe it, but my wife actually pushed for it, even based on the experiences of the 220! So, here is what I have:

90 gallon tank
Lifereef sump, refugium, and skimmer
2-Kessil 380 Tuna Blue LED lights and controller.
LED moonlights
Fiji and Tonga rock, which was dry.
Fine sand.
Added an Icecap gyre 3k.

Livestock:
4 chromis
1 yellow tang

CUC:
12 blue legs
3 turbos
5 nassarius
14 astreas
1 sand sifting star

Corals: (yeah I jumped the gun BIG TIME)
1 cats paw
1 astreopora
1 Alveopora
1 ricordea
1 frogspawn
1 zoa

As expected, diatoms showed up, and I added the CUC. I'm trying to use as few as possible. They have knocked it back considerably, and now the green film is rearing its head. The Refugium is currently offline: water circulating with some LR in it). The skimmer is set to heavily skim. 1 baffle filter is being rinsed often, so my export may be rather low.

For startup purposes I'm using IO salt, and have done 3 water changes already. Due to the low Ca, alk, and mag in that salt after testing, I will be changing to either reef crystals or Red Sea. I have spent this week creeping my mag up from 1100 to 1350, my alk up to 10, my CA up to 420+ and it's a work in progress.

I am using RO/DI for water, with all new filters and membrane, on well water.

My current plan is to get the fuge online with lighting and chaeto for nutrient export, because I currently fear that other than the skimmer and baffle filter, I'm just in a loop until I do it. I am running some gfo, because I figured the rock/sand may have some that would leach.

I will try to update as things come along. The R2R family has already been more help than you may think!

0131191622.jpg

0131191622a.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great Brad, and nice write up.

And welcome to R2R as well it’s great to have you with us!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back