Brad's stocking list- what do ya think?

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Well, I still have not got my build thread done, but I will get there. I have been taking pictures during the two year process. Before I list my stocking plan, I should give some details regarding the system:
Tank - 5ftx2ftx2ft 150g SCA
Sump - trigger 34 emerald
temp control - DA lite with two 300w titanium heaters
skimmer - RO 150INT - up and running for 6 weeks - working great
refugium - A80 with chaeto and rubble of GMP imported LR
filter socks - currently only changing out every two weeks or so
chemical filtration- Chem-pure elite just before return chamber( I want to use ROX-8, but we all now how that is right now)
circulation - Gyre 250 x 2 set on Oceanic gyre preset
LR - 88# of pre-cured Pukani from Premium Aquatics and 30# of GMP import (has been in for 7 weeks now)
Salt - HW reefer

Parameters:
Salinity = 1.025 (refractometer calibrated with cal fluid)
temp = 78.1
pH = 8.18 (hanna pH pocket tester calibrated with 7.0 fluid)
ALK = 8.2(hanna checker)
Ca = 440 (Red sea titration method)
Mg = 1600(Red sea)
Nitrate = 8 (Red sea)
phosphate = .28(hanna checker)
Nitrite and ammonia = 0

Current livestock:
From the LR - mini brittle stars, bristle worms, small snails (~ 1/4 in), pineapple sponges, other little critters
Algae barn 5280 added 5 weeks ago to DT and refugium - dosing the phyto only 2x/wk
12 scarlet reef hermits added two weeks ago - doing well
1 green toadstool leather - added two weeks ago - doing well
1 discosoma mushroom - added two weeks ago - doing well
1 neon green trumpet 7 heads - added two weeks ago - doing well

Parameters have been stable in regards to temp, salinity, Alk, Mg, and Ca. The Mg is high, but this apparently happens sometimes with batches of HW reefer. I have not dosed anything(no need yet with two softies and one LPS) My nitrates started at 12, went to as high as 26 about three weeks in, and now are down to under 10. Phosphate started at .34, went as high as .78, and now are down to ,28. pH has been b/t 8.1 and 8.2. I think the spike in nitrate and phosphate were from sprinkling crushed Algae extreme and adding the phyto at two weeks. I backed off until they went back down.

So, now I am ready (I think) to add my first two fish!

Here is my stocking plan:

1 midas blenny small/medium add soon
1 rosy-scales fairy wrasse small/medium add soon
If and when these two are doing well, parameters are good, and at a minimum of 6 weeks
1 bonded pair of captive bread perculas (I like the more traditional looking clowns, but want vivid coloration with well-defined black lines)
Then again once everyone is doing well and parameters are stable, and 6 week minimum
1 yellow tang small/medium

This is really it for at least the first year. I might add one or two other fish after that, but this is really all I want. Should I consider a different time frame or stocking order? I do plan on adding troch. snails and other LPS in b/t fish stocking. SPS will not be added until minimum of 6 months and will be only a couple. No nems planned. I do not have a quarantine. I know, I know. I have tried to keep bioload low, stock right, and will feed well with vitamins supplement. I also will be using Fishy business aquatics at least for my first two fish, if not all of them. I will try and have a quarantine up and going before adding the tang.Thinking a 30g. OK, please let me know your thoughts!

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good, I just have one question do you have any plans to add any other tang? as the yellow tang can be very aggressive if added and established first.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing, for a 2x2x5 150 gallon:

Midas blenny
Fairy wrasse
Pair of perc clowns
Yellow tang

Pretty light load. I don't see any problems. It looks like you chose one of the more aggressive fairy wrasses, so adding others may be tough. Once the yellow tang is established, it may not tolerate other similarly shaped additions.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is better introduce similar fish at the same time, or you can start with less aggressive fish and keep the Yellow tang and Fairy Wrasse for last.
even with established and Aggressive fish you can add fish later with good social acclimation in acclimation box and a lot of hiding places.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you put a good lid on prior to adding Midas Blenny. They will Jump every opportunity they can. Trust me I’ve lost many. Must have a lid

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup!

With all that work and expense you need to devote some time and money to a QT. (From the guy that never QTed in the past and regrets it. Several large fish kills over the years.)

If you do not plan on QT, then at a minimum you need to do a 5 minute fresh water dip. Even doing the dip before QT has great benefits.

There are multiple great YouTube videos.

Also be aware that *any* fish can have outside parasites or internal worms.

Some of the fish can sort of be broken down into 2 categories.
The Vectors and the die ers.
You are worried about QTing a die er (tang) when you need to be worried about QTing the vectors (wrasse) (clownfish)

The yellow tank can easily carry flukes or have intestinal worms. But the flukes can be taken care of with a 5 minute fresh water bath. You want medicated fish food for the worms.

The clown fish are prone to carry Brookenella (sp). Not fixed in a fresh water bath.
The wrasse has a thick slime coat and can tolerate a lot of bad things that it ends up sharing with the other fish.
Better Vector than a 4 year old in daycare during flu season.

I learned the hard way with Ruby Red dragonettes.
Another exceptional vector with a thick slime coat.
( How much damage could that cute little half inch $25 fish do? It needs pods! I better put it right in the tank!)
[emoji53]

Several extensive fish kills apparently can be blamed on my repeated attempts to add these cute little buggers to my tank.
[emoji849]

OP
OP
Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good, I just have one question do you have any plans to add any other tang? as the yellow tang can be very aggressive if added and established first.
No I don't. He will be the only tang. Same goes for the Wrasse. I have heard before to come up with a plan when it comes to your stocking of fish and stay with it. That's my plan!;)

OP
OP
Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing, for a 2x2x5 150 gallon:

Midas blenny
Fairy wrasse
Pair of perc clowns
Yellow tang

Pretty light load. I don't see any problems. It looks like you chose one of the more aggressive fairy wrasses, so adding others may be tough. Once the yellow tang is established, it may not tolerate other similarly shaped additions.
Ya, I was surprised to read they can be aggressive with other fairy's! I chose this one due to its red coloration. Most of the other wrasse that have red coloring seem to be either flasher's or moderate care (magma and flame). I liked this one because he looks gorgeous and has enough red to add to the tank's overall color. His tendency to be aggressive to other fairy's didn't factor in only because he will be the only wrasse in my tank. Really, I don't think anything else will be similar shape even. Same goes for the tang. The only other fish I might add (if the tang for some reason does not do his part eating algae in the tank), would be a foxface. From what I have read, even though foxface are peaceful, because they have poisonous spines, other fish do not mess with them.

OP
OP
Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is better introduce similar fish at the same time, or you can start with less aggressive fish and keep the Yellow tang and Fairy Wrasse for last.
even with established and Aggressive fish you can add fish later with good social acclimation in acclimation box and a lot of hiding places.
Good to know! Do you think I should change how/when I stock this group? Change the order at all?

OP
OP
Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you put a good lid on prior to adding Midas Blenny. They will Jump every opportunity they can. Trust me I’ve lost many. Must have a lid
Putting my screen top together today. Have a canopy over that as well that rests on the tank, but it is open in back. So, I bought the screen kit and plan to put it together today;)

OP
OP
Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup!

With all that work and expense you need to devote some time and money to a QT. (From the guy that never QTed in the past and regrets it. Several large fish kills over the years.)

If you do not plan on QT, then at a minimum you need to do a 5 minute fresh water dip. Even doing the dip before QT has great benefits.

There are multiple great YouTube videos.

Also be aware that *any* fish can have outside parasites or internal worms.

Some of the fish can sort of be broken down into 2 categories.
The Vectors and the die ers.
You are worried about QTing a die er (tang) when you need to be worried about QTing the vectors (wrasse) (clownfish)

The yellow tank can easily carry flukes or have intestinal worms. But the flukes can be taken care of with a 5 minute fresh water bath. You want medicated fish food for the worms.

The clown fish are prone to carry Brookenella (sp). Not fixed in a fresh water bath.
The wrasse has a thick slime coat and can tolerate a lot of bad things that it ends up sharing with the other fish.
Better Vector than a 4 year old in daycare during flu season.

I learned the hard way with Ruby Red dragonettes.
Another exceptional vector with a thick slime coat.
( How much damage could that cute little half inch $25 fish do? It needs pods! I better put it right in the tank!)
[emoji53]

Several extensive fish kills apparently can be blamed on my repeated attempts to add these cute little buggers to my tank.
[emoji849]
You are right. I need to quarantine. I've read all debates, pro/cons, etc. and by far the consensus is to quarantine. I knew I would be convinced through this thread that I need to take an extra couple of weeks to set-up a quarantine and just do it the right way. It sounds silly, but at this point, so much spent on so many things to get this thing up and going, another tank, medications, copper checker, etc. just seems like too much. But, it's like you said, look at how much I have already invested in time and money. Why chance nuking the tank? Also, you bring up a very good point. It's not the tang I should be as worried about carrying anything into the tank. By that point, if I have not quarantined, it will be what I am exposing him to once I add him. Won't matter if I quarantined him. Thanks!

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! Do you think I should change how/when I stock this group? Change the order at all?
No just keep as planned, as you said on your previous comment these will be the only Fairy and Tang , so no worries. fish from the same family or have the same shape might have aggression issues.

Is this you full list? you diffidently can add more down the road.

OP
OP
Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No just keep as planned, as you said on your previous comment these will be the only Fairy and Tang , so no worries. fish from the same family or have the same shape might have aggression issues.

Is this you full list? you diffidently can add more down the road.
I only have the tang as a herbiovore, so I am considering a foxface and am wondering if he should be added before the tang. Other than that, this will be it. I do not want it stocked close to "capacity". I really want it under stocked so to speak.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the tang as a herbiovore, so I am considering a foxface and am wondering if he should be added before the tang. Other than that, this will be it. I do not want it stocked close to "capacity". I really want it under stocked so to speak.

they may fight. I would introduce both of them at the same time.
Hope you can keep it as planed and keep it under stocked.
I don't know why but my tank is always full, yet at the same time it always have space for the last fish or frag to add lol. I'v added this last fish for over than 5 times last year.

OP
OP
Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they may fight. I would introduce both of them at the same time.
Hope you can keep it as planed and keep it under stocked.
I don't know why but my tank is always full, yet at the same time it always have space for the last fish or frag to add lol. I'v added this last fish for over than 5 times last year.
Oh I hear ya! This is my first saltwater tank, but I have been keeping freshwater tanks for years. Mostly African Cichilds. I was always adding another fish/s. I had as many as 38 fish in a 5ft 120 at one point! I'm hoping that since I have had aquariums full of fish before, I will stick to my plan and just keep adding frags.;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back