Breaking in skimmer

linkzter

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2024
Messages
19
Reaction score
6
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just installed the classic 110 int OCTO skimmer

I currently have it running with the valve completely open, I read I should leave it like that for 2-4 weeks so It can break in. Is that correct?

Should I leave it open for the 2 weeks or do I adjust the valve sooner what should I do what is recommend when installing a new skimmer in a tank?

image.jpg
 
Typically yes due to manufacturing oils and junk.

If you want to reduce this significantly you can run the skimmer in a bucket of warm water and vinegar for 24 hours.

But it takes about 10 days for the skimmer to start acting properly when its brand new. Nothing to worry about.
 
Typically yes due to manufacturing oils and junk.

If you want to reduce this significantly you can run the skimmer in a bucket of warm water and vinegar for 24 hours.

But it takes about 10 days for the skimmer to start acting properly when its brand new. Nothing to worry about.
Perfect I appreciate the advice. I’ll leave the gate completely open for 10-14 days and start adjusting from there.
 
Only going to add some encouragement! My first skimmer was the RO 110 and people seem to love it for its simplicity or hate it lol. Be patient. Little adjustments can be a big change in fill rate etc. this is a labor of love. FWIW, I would’ve ran mine until it went out had I not upgraded to a bigger tank that required a bigger skimmer. Even then, will went the RO route. Tough to beat imo.

Cheers mate!
 
if your tank is already cycled and has been running for I while I would try to start adjusting now. I personally have never had to go through a skimmer break in when adding a skimmer to an existing well cycle tank. Now new tanks with less organic when skimmer at added at the time of setup is a whole other monster.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new