BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Asco1104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I havnt lost anything, how often are you measuring ph and alk and what were they?

Only thing I have noticed most of my snails are very lethargic.

CoralCache

View Badges
Reaction score
Ph for me has not dropped below 7.8 and that is just for the first 24 hours of the treatment then it drifts back to normal. Its not like it plummeted. Normal low is about 7.95-8. High of 8.3ish. The day of the dip the ph was up to almost 8.2. It is on the Profilux so it is graphed constantly. My Alk was between 7.5 and 8.2 ish through out the whole process. Tested 3 to 4 times a week.

CoralCache

View Badges
Reaction score
We did try a 2.5 times dose a couple times for some stubborn Men's. So if used as directed there would probably be no effect on fish if there is any link at all to the treatment.

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
I haven't had any ill effects on fish. Corals are all still good. Coloration isn't great, but the light penetration is considerably altered after treatment. Today is my 4th dose.

@UWC, I sent you a PM.

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
664c4ac969bd880d770b3b661db272fe.jpg
afbcea33c2b6312df66ec4c2733e62aa.jpg
. Well another recycle bins filled with brown bottles, but it’s a lot different than the brown bottles my neighbor has. Fourth treatment in.

CoralCache

View Badges
Reaction score
All of those claiming that this kills monti eating nudis check your tanks with a strong magnifying glass. At 2.5 times the recommended dose there has been zero effect on these guys in our test tank. 7 doses at higher than recommended dosing for aefw and no effect on the nudis.

Last edited:

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
First, I would like to thank UWC for the fast customer service. I placed my order on Friday and received the Purge on Monday. I have been losing 2-3 acros per week from AEFW. I'm down to 42 acros from 64 a few months ago after diagnosing that my system was infected. My reef is almost 5 yrs. old and is 100 gallons of wall-to-wall corals.

After reading this thread, I decided to take a different approach to minimize any losses. I turned off my alkalinity dosing and decided to just test it ad nauseum and dose accordingly. For the last 24 hrs. since beginning treatment, my alk has been between 8.0 to 8.3. The system is still consuming alk but at about half of the normal rate. Strangely, my calcium consumption has not gone down. Understanding that is above my pay grade. My pH was 8.3 before treatment and dropped to 8.1 after treatment. It was 7.8 when the lights came on this morning but went up to 8.2 by noon and has stayed at 8.2 today.

So far, I have not had any losses. My reef is not at all stressed, my anemones look great, my fish are active and eating well, my CUC are actively roaming the reef, and my acros have great polyp extension. The cloudiness lasted about 45 min. and the fish did hide during the cloudy phase.

I used a turkey baster to try to find flatworms this afternoon but they appear to be gone.

This is just a 24-hour observation but so far, so good. I will give another update tomorrow. I'm very excited about this product! Dealing with AEFW has been heart-breaking.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
All of those claiming that this kills monti eating nudis check your tanks with a strong magnifying glass. At 2.5 times the recommended dose there has been zero effect on these guys in our test tank. 7 doses at higher than recommended dosing for aefw and no effect on the nudis.
Another thing to consider is that there could be different strains of MEN's, some of which may be easier to impact than others. It is very helpful, imo, if everyone can post their successes and failures to get a better idea of how effective this product could be.

CoralCache

View Badges
Reaction score
Good luck Katt. The product appears to work well for its intended purpose.
Brew you are correct. I am sure there are several species of mens. My post was to not think they are gone because you didn't find any one day. Gotta keep hunting hard for them. More cautionary just in case.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
This morning I dosed the 4th dose. This evening I decided to baste my corals to confirm that all of the AEFW had been eliminated. Instead I blew off a decent number of them (10-20), both small and large. I managed to catch one before my fish gobbled it up and placed it in a shallow dish with a few ml of water. I added a couple of drops of purge and it didn’t seem to have any effect. The flatworm continues to move around and has a nice brown color. I don’t know if I have a different species that is more resistant or what.

@UWC, what do you recommend? I’d hate to start the whole process over again with a stronger dose, but I’m not getting rid of my AEFW.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would hang tight as long as you are not seeing eggs they will live out their cycle and die off. Some of the adults are pretty resistant but should be stunted enough to not be able to lay eggs.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
I just chopped up my tri-color valida (an AEFW magnet) and found quite a few eggs. I’m guessing that some AEFW hunkered down in the colony, withstood the Purge, and continued to lay eggs. It was a fist sized colony with dense short branching. Possible?

I think I got all the eggs from this colony, my only tri-color, but am not at all convinced there aren’t other eggs in other corals.

I have 28 oz of Purge left. 400 total gallons. I dosed 20 oz this morning. What do you recommend?

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would dose another 20 today which will basically make it double dose. Can you message me your order number so I can look up your batch number?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
following along since the ban is being lifted from indonesian, I will probably use this as a precaution if I get any SPS from indo.

jamesfc27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I dosed my 4th dose two days ago, followed all instructions to a T. Used a turkey baster to blow off the more infected corals, I had one large adult and several half grown flat worms come loose. My pc rainbow had a lot of missing tissue on some branches so I decided to just chop them off and let it grow new ones. Looking at the branches I cut off, there were eggs all over them. Shouldn't all this be gone by now?
20181003_192619.jpg
20181003_192743.jpg
20181003_192610.jpg
20181003_192836.jpg

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have 2 tanks. 150 gal or 55 gal.
Just receive my Purge last nite.

What starting dosage is good to start both?

You will want to start with 1 oz per 10 gallons.

I dosed my 4th dose two days ago, followed all instructions to a T. Used a turkey baster to blow off the more infected corals, I had one large adult and several half grown flat worms come loose. My pc rainbow had a lot of missing tissue on some branches so I decided to just chop them off and let it grow new ones. Looking at the branches I cut off, there were eggs all over them. Shouldn't all this be gone by now?
20181003_192619.jpg
20181003_192743.jpg
20181003_192610.jpg
20181003_192836.jpg

No, you should not be seeing eggs. Seems like a few of you who are at this same point still are. Message me your order number please. We are looking into the batch that your orders would have come from.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
There should be nothing wrong with your order. The reason we are looking into these older orders is because those are following the time line of when we switched bottling companies. So we will test and verify that the old batch that those orders came from are correct.

Jason1971

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi, I received my 2 bottles yesterday with the old dosing instructions i.e. 1oz per 20 gallon. Are they considered from the old batches?

Anyway I dosed double the dosage for my 110 gallons last night and the water was cleared when I woke up this morning. It's almost 24 hours since I the first dosage and had no losses. I dosed after the lights were off and dialled down my CR and my KHG showed KH was stable at 8.4 through the night. Ph has also dropped to 7.90 from norm of 8.1-8.2.

I had been battling aefw for months and had been dipping rigorously with Melafix and throwing out infested colonies and frags to contain them. Haven't noticed any new bites today but may be too soon to tell but haven't spotted one yet so I'm happy to share my experience. Thumbs up to Purge.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back