Breeding betta fish...successful?

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, been tryin to breed bettas for a while. Finally got a good pair last week and after conditioning and introducing, they finally laid eggs into the bubble nest. I have removed the female and i will check on everyone later tonight. Just wondering if anyone would be interested about this. If everything goes well, let me know if you want a few, i wont make it too expensive ($5-$10 for my fellow reefers ;) ). Will be posting updates on this

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...i tried once, she laid but they never hatched.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...i tried once, she laid but they never hatched.
Oh wow! Ive always had just pure luck. This is the second time i am trying, the first real try.first time was a few months ago, i just wanted to try and I already had a great lookin male betta. So i picked up a female from Petsmart, did a little reading, introduced them, and soon i had little betta fry. None of them would eat however, since i didnt use live foods. They all died except one who was in the adult tank by accident. She is now doing amazing in my 60 gallon. I have a theory that since she grew up in such a big space she is bigger. The male betta recently died last week but if i had to guess, i would say she is half an inch bigger than him.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: picking up some live baby brine sometime this week when i get a chance. Eggs haven’t hatched yet, even after they do, I’ve got a few days while they consume their egg sacs yolk.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the Betta fry! Baby brine shrimp (BBS), micro worms, or other similar live foods are key for raising the fry indoors.

There are lots of hard ways (I have successfully done several) of breeding Bettas and a far easier way that has worked for me on multiple occasions. Once the weather stays above 70F outside, set up a 20g round container outside in a semi-shaded area, fill it with treated freshwater, load it with floating plants (Elodea, Cabomba, or similar), add 4 female Bettas and 1 male Betta, cover with metal screen mesh to keep out predators, and feed occasionally (they will also enjoy plenty of insect larva). In a few months there is a reasonable chance that there will be 30+ Bettas in the container.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now there are maybe ten that I cN see. It they are all still in the nest. A few fell out and th e make out them back in. They are super tiny right now.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics please! I'm dying to see them.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird I only see maybe ten of them and I see a lot of brown eggs. Maybe the brown eggs weren’t fertilized properly, but if so then o just lost out on like a hundred betta fry. No worries though I will still raise them and find them good homes.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question I have: how long should I wait before attempting to breed with the same betta? Should I use the same pair again since they were perfect for each other?

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh I just saw the male eat one betta fry. I thought he was putting him back in the nest but he just ate it...

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! I miss my bubblenesting fathers. I have a very handsome white platinum fella but I just can’t bring myself to spawn him. And sadly my pallifina female is under the weather. She’s an old gal, at least six or seven so I’m probably not going to see a lady spawn from her before she passes.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...or haven’t hatched yet or failed to hatch. Underutilized eggs are usually clear and funguses eggs are usually white. Congratulations on the successes that you have reached!

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...or haven’t hatched yet or failed to hatch. Underutilized eggs are usually clear and funguses eggs are usually white. Congratulations on the successes that you have reached!
I see. I will put the plastic wrap back on and wait a little more then. Now I need to prepare food

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question I have: how long should I wait before attempting to breed with the same betta? Should I use the same pair again since they were perfect for each other?
Pull the male, feed him well for a week. Same with the female. Then start to condition them together again for another week. This will give him time to recouperate. The male is probably exhausted.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back