OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! I miss my bubblenesting fathers. I have a very handsome white platinum fella but I just can’t bring myself to spawn him. And sadly my pallifina female is under the weather. She’s an old gal, at least six or seven so I’m probably not going to see a lady spawn from her before she passes.
Hmmm maybe send me a picture of what they looked like. I could try using bettas that are similar to them for my next attempt

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the male, feed him well for a week. Same with the female. Then start to condition them together again for another week. This will give him time to recouperate. The male is probably exhausted.
I’m keeping the male in there for a few more days. I will see what I can do. The male and female are exactly the same color lol. I only picked them because their fins and coloring were good they seemed healthy and they were active.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm maybe send me a picture of what they looked like. I could try using bettas that are similar to them for my next attempt
Pallifina? They are a wild species, not easily found outside of breeders. They are paternal mouthbrooders. It fancy long frilled kiddos either. Some people think they are ugly but they have a beautiful shiny blue scaling to them and the most wonderful personality. 2129F079-1801-44F7-B770-349D9C6D48EB.jpeg D6844208-D7F1-4B81-A5FD-60F71C3A7AD8.jpeg 69A55E2B-C9B7-4002-BC28-B0E5E7F6D934.jpeg

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pallifina? They are a wild species, not easily found outside of breeders. They are paternal mouthbrooders. It fancy long frilled kiddos either. Some people think they are ugly but they have a beautiful shiny blue scaling to them and the most wonderful personality. 2129F079-1801-44F7-B770-349D9C6D48EB.jpeg D6844208-D7F1-4B81-A5FD-60F71C3A7AD8.jpeg 69A55E2B-C9B7-4002-BC28-B0E5E7F6D934.jpeg
Ohhh. I have absolutely no experience with wild bettas whatsoever. Sorry

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue i found today is doing water changes. I need to keep the male in because he puts the fry back into the nest when they fall out (or at least tries to lol). However, he is also making waste and the uneaten food is too. I cannot do water changes without sucking up a couple of the cute little bettas so i used a mesh net to cover the pipe. Seems to have worked but now, i cant even suck up the fish poop. They also wont eat the ocean nutrition instant brine (neither will any of my fish in any of my tanks) that i bought. The only reason i got these instead of the normal live ones is because the normal live ones are at a diffferent LFS an hour away. Hopefully ill have time to get it tomorrow but I’m already busy dealing with gill flukes, black beard algae, and fish who wont eat in my other tanks...hopefully this will all be worth it when they get bigger

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most breeders don’t feed the male while he takes care of the babies. Once they are free swimming he’s pulled and fed. What I would do is instead of changing water, since I spawned in a ten gallon half filled, I’d drip a gallon a day after he was removed. Once it was filled, I had a piece of rigid airline tubing attached to the soft tubing, and would have this drain into a bucket. That way if I sucked any babies up I’d just use a turkey baster to snatch them back out of the bucket and add back with the rest.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most breeders don’t feed the male while he takes care of the babies. Once they are free swimming he’s pulled and fed. What I would do is instead of changing water, since I spawned in a ten gallon half filled, I’d drip a gallon a day after he was removed. Once it was filled, I had a piece of rigid airline tubing attached to the soft tubing, and would have this drain into a bucket. That way if I sucked any babies up I’d just use a turkey baster to snatch them back out of the bucket and add back with the rest.
If they can swim but choose to stay by the nest (or are put there by the male) do they count as “free swimming”?

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as long as they are no longer hanging vertically. The male will always try to keep them by the best that’s instinct. He wants them safe. Neat is small area patrolled so he sees it as the best place for the little ones. You can go ahead an d pull him, and feed him well.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as long as they are no longer hanging vertically. The male will always try to keep them by the best that’s instinct. He wants them safe. Neat is small area patrolled so he sees it as the best place for the little ones. You can go ahead an d pull him, and feed him well.
Will do as soon as I can make space for him in a tank...thinking of putting him in my 60 community but now that tanks being medicated from gill flukes...

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it’s very hard to get them eating on non live foods to begin with. The wiggle attracts them, and you can watch them hunt. I usually wait until they are two weeks after pulling dad before offering non hatched decapped baby brine shrimp. I fed three times a day, and at the two week mark I would replace the second feeding with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it’s very hard to get them eating on non live foods to begin with. The wiggle attracts them, and you can watch them hunt. I usually wait until they are two weeks after pulling dad before offering non hatched recapped baby brine shrimp. I fed three times a day, and at the two week mark I would replace the second feeding with that.
I’ll try live baby brine when I get home today thx

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did not touch the first bite or the brine...now I’m getting worried

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know first bites are powder. Is the brine live? And is it freshly hatched? It’s beat to hatch it yourself.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know first bites are powder. Is the brine live? And is it freshly hatched? It’s beat to hatch it yourself.
Brine is live from my LFS. Super small and i have tried hatching brine before, this is around that size. They sold it as baby brine.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg yolk doesnt work does it? Anyone else with any advice? They are day 4-5 so they definitely need food by now.

Back