Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking real good Brew! I need to get a better camera ;Blackeye
Sorry to hear about the shrimp.

Looks like we started around the same time. My tank will be 3 in June.
You're doing much better than me on the fish loss front. Between the display and frag tanks I have 18 fish, most from the beginning. But I've lost at least 8 over that time. 4 we're carpet surfers. I've got lids on everything now. With the shrimp I've lost 4 or five cleaners and one Fire. The Fire was devoured after the female Blue Throat Trigger started shredding it. Then it was on and a full tank feeding frenzy. I couldn't believe it, every singe fish in the tank got in on the action. I'm like, dang, that was an expensive feeding! Cost more than Amaebi for four! lol:eek: Crazy thing is, I have had 2 fire shrimp since then and the pair hang out under a rock where the male trigger sleeps and they've been fine for over two years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tank maintenance day. Started with changing out a stuck doser head on my KH Director. I'll change the GFO, GAC, and vacuum the sand as part of a 30g water change.
Shouldn't take too long because it is also yard maintenance day. Need to add around 16 cubic feet of dirt to help level an area of grass and then change out to automatic sprinkler heads. Those are always a pain.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been slacking on my testing and it hasn't been a god thing. My Alk demand has been slowly dropping and I've assumed it was because of the aggressive algae treatment. For the first time in way too long I tested Calc and Mg. Oooops.
Calcium was 340ppm. Mg was 1240. This is well short of the 410 and 1450 I would like to maintain. I added 300ml of calcium solution and a full liter of magnesium solution. It won't get me where I want to be but that is about as much of either as I am willing to add right now. Makes me wonder how low they had gotten before this last 30g water change.
I should know better. I really should. And yet..... ;Blackeye:oops:

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shots. I love the focus on the hippo tang in the first pic.
About the parameters, do not shoot yourself too fast.
There is always a margin on our test values and I believe everybody likes to postpone one or another thing for the tank once and a while.
Still, your values are not that bad and easily fixed.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking nice!

Just a thought from a few weeks back... I know you caught it and fixed it, but be careful with GFO breaking down like that. Someone local to me claims to have nuked an SPS tank like that...

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking nice!

Just a thought from a few weeks back... I know you caught it and fixed it, but be careful with GFO breaking down like that. Someone local to me claims to have nuked an SPS tank like that...
Thank you!

I'm sure the iron content of my water is higher than I would like right now but I'm hoping that the 2 big water changes since then have helped. I'll also be putting chaeto back into my refugium this week which should help consume some iron, also. I used to have to dose iron. Which reminds me... I have an iron test kit... not sure why I haven't used it since I've had that happen. :confused:

Lots of non-reefing distractions lately.;Sorry

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been Since you stopped dosing Vibrant? I had to wait nearly two months after dosing twice a week before chaeto would start growing again.
It's will have been 16 days once the Chaeto arrives. Wasn't able to get any locally. I'm curious to see if I have the same results. I've done 2 x 30g water changes and am aggressively running GAC.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's will have been 16 days once the Chaeto arrives. Wasn't able to get any locally. I'm curious to see if I have the same results. I've done 2 x 30g water changes and am aggressively running GAC.

I did similarly. The Chaeto just dissolved for the first month+. Suggest keeping some in another QT in reserve just in case.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I want to up my photo game some more. Especially coral close ups from side views. So, I've ordered some stand off tubes that should be here on Saturday. Curious to see how well they work for me.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I want to up my photo game some more. Especially coral close ups from side views. So, I've ordered some stand off tubes that should be here on Saturday. Curious to see how well they work for me.
Bubba helped me out a ton I can try to help if u have any questions

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was playing with the camera and when I looked at the pictures I realized I need to change my filter socks. Too much particulate in the water so from them overflowing. :oops:

But... these turned out ok.
DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was playing with the camera and when I looked at the pictures I realized I need to change my filter socks. Too much particulate in the water so from them overflowing. :oops:

But... these turned out ok.
DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

That zoa colony looks fabulous

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back