OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is amazing how such a simple adjustment was so beneficial. It makes me wonder how many others are limited. From the threads I have read, many seem confounded finding the proper LED settings.
It's a great question. I want to take advantage of the T5 lighting I use so I keep the fixture lower to the water. I'm sure that has something to do with it. I would imagine if I had my lights 16" over the water it would have been much less of a problem.

I was shooting for maximum PAR. I didn't understand that all PAR is not created equally. So much to learn in this hobby!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea - but I want yours before I speak out :)
I shared my ideas... still waiting on yours! ;)

I'm very curious to see what you have to say since you do have so much experience working with the red LED wavelengths.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm very curious to see what you have to say since you do have so much experience working with the red LED wavelengths.

I am interested as well, the led part of my Pacific Sun hybrid has red leds, I just run the main program! ;)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ll get my new mitras lightbar 2 this week I hope - time to do experiment. However not 660 nm red - 630 nm instead.

This with polyp extension. Why do the corals extension their polyps sometime when it is lot of light (or certain type of lights). That they extend their polyps when it is food in the water - that´s one ting - but why do they do it more in certain light regimes? I have an idea - but I want yours before I speak out :)

Sincerely Lasse

I was waiting for more to pick up the question :)

As I see it - the main problem for a coral when it have a high rate of photosynthesis is to get rid of surplus oxygen. The only way of doing this is by diffusion into the water. The rate of diffusion is
determined by the difference in concentration and the diffusion area. The difference of concentration can´t the coral not do so much about but to increase the diffusion area - more photosynthesis can take place. For corals with smal polyps - increasing of area means expanding of polyps.

Your case with lesser polypexpansion with whites and reds at 80 % can indicate that your PAR of the "high Photosynthesis wavelengths" has been to0 high and that photoinhibition taking place. I know that the white LEDs of the Mitras brand is very powerful and give a lot of red in the 630 -730 nm range. Better polyp expansion and better growth indicate better photosynthesis for me.

All of this is IMO

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waiting for more to pick up the question :)

As I see it - the main problem for a coral when it have a high rate of photosynthesis is to get rid of surplus oxygen. The only way of doing this is by diffusion into the water. The rate of diffusion is
determined by the difference in concentration and the diffusion area. The difference of concentration can´t the coral not do so much about but to increase the diffusion area - more photosynthesis can take place. For corals with smal polyps - increasing of area means expanding of polyps.

Your case with lesser polypexpansion with whites and reds at 80 % can indicate that your PAR of the "high Photosynthesis wavelengths" has been to0 high and that photoinhibition taking place. I know that the white LEDs of the Mitras brand is very powerful and give a lot of red in the 630 -730 nm range. Better polyp expansion and better growth indicate better photosynthesis for me.

All of this is IMO

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse, I really appreciate your willingness to share knowledge like this, even if it is just educated theories. I think you forget that 20 months ago I had never had an aquarium of any type. I follow people like you, Atoll, Paul B and Sallstrom because I have so much to learn from your experience.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t do much with the aquarium but I did get an outlet installed and TV hung on the back patio.
7308af5eaa42ff97b5c5b02b809d85ec.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an all weather tv?
Nope. It's the cheapest 50" TV I could get. I could replace this thing 10 times compared to the outdoor TV's.

The last indoor TV I had out here has worked for 4 years and still hasn't died. It's only a 32" and I wanted something a bit bigger.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those new light settings take a nice picture! I mean the photo settings you built and not the tweak to the regularly scheduled programming.
Thanks! The new settings do make taking pictures easier. I still do a little in the way of adjustment but the entire process is much easier.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a few more since the glass is clean.
DSC_0008.jpg

I think this guy looks healthy....
DSC_0013.jpg

This angle does a better job showing coral growth than a FTS Most of my coral are still too short to have a silhouette over the rock.
DSC_0003.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people hate pictures, but I figured I would put up a few more I just took.

Not sure I have ever posted a shot looking in from this side. This is close to where my head is from my regular seat.
DSC_0018.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back