marisp127

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have been struggling with nutrient export as of late (along with an outbreak of GHA) and have been working to reduce nitrates and phosphate through all of the traditional routes (water changes, reduction of feeding amount/time, consistent cleaning of filter and protein skimmer, etc.) but am wondering if I need to move to a different media for my tank. I have heard really good things about Brightwell's XPort cubes (I am interested specifically in the NO3 and PO4 cubes) and am wondering if anyone has experience with these products they would like to share before I dive in? I am particularly curious about where you placed the cubes (sump, reactor, in filter) and how well they worked.

Thank you for the insight!
Marissa

BPCGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have been struggling with nutrient export as of late (along with an outbreak of GHA) and have been working to reduce nitrates and phosphate through all of the traditional routes (water changes, reduction of feeding amount/time, consistent cleaning of filter and protein skimmer, etc.) but am wondering if I need to move to a different media for my tank. I have heard really good things about Brightwell's XPort cubes (I am interested specifically in the NO3 and PO4 cubes) and am wondering if anyone has experience with these products they would like to share before I dive in? I am particularly curious about where you placed the cubes (sump, reactor, in filter) and how well they worked.

Thank you for the insight!
Marissa

I use both products in my 32g Coralife biocube. I am certain that the PO4 cubes actually bind phosphate. It’s not clear if the NO3 cubes do anything more than similar amounts of bio media. But now I have a ton of bio media to get some nitrogen export.
i have each in a separate media bag. I overnight soak the NO3 cubes in Microbacter 7 before placing in the tank. I place them on a magnetic feeder clip in chamber 3. I replace 1/4 of my cubes every 3 months.

i don’t think you can go wrong with these products. Whether they are the panacea that is promised, who knows! But my tank is performing well.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both products in my 32g Coralife biocube. I am certain that the PO4 cubes actually bind phosphate. It’s not clear if the NO3 cubes do anything more than similar amounts of bio media. But now I have a ton of bio media to get some nitrogen export.
i have each in a separate media bag. I overnight soak the NO3 cubes in Microbacter 7 before placing in the tank. I place them on a magnetic feeder clip in chamber 3. I replace 1/4 of my cubes every 3 months.

i don’t think you can go wrong with these products. Whether they are the panacea that is promised, who knows! But my tank is performing well.

So, not that I am an expert or anything. But I am 95% certain that Bio-Media only aids in Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate... Getting Nitrate -> Nitrogen happens in DSB's (I think) and in bacteria found inside the deeper parts of live rock. Again, that's as far as I am aware.

That said, I think both of you may want to consider BioMedia + Carbon dosing... Binders and media can get expensive... vinegar and cheap vodka can go a loooooong way, plus it creates extra food for your coral

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back