Brine shrimp breeding

BrookeAMullis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently become the proud mom of a 300 gallon brine shrimp culture, unfortunately the person who was previously in charge of handling our cultures is no longer working at our facility so I’m just kinda winging it ATM as far as trying to keep the culture healthy.
There are thousands of adult brine shrimp in the tank, and I can see even more eggs in the tank, our egg catcher is just chock full of them, so I know they are breeding, but I haven’t really noticed many juveniles/babies in the tank lately, and when I first started caring for the tank I saw an abundance of different sizes but now they’re mostly just adults, so I’m worried the eggs are not hatching. Is there anything I can do to encourage the eggs to hatch?
I’ve been keeping the salinity at 1.026, temperature at 74°f, a large sponge filter, a couple of low flow bubblers to keep the water moving and there is an abundance of phytoplankton growing in the water.
Thanks in advance for any advice ❤️

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently become the proud mom of a 300 gallon brine shrimp culture, unfortunately the person who was previously in charge of handling our cultures is no longer working at our facility so I’m just kinda winging it ATM as far as trying to keep the culture healthy.
There are thousands of adult brine shrimp in the tank, and I can see even more eggs in the tank, our egg catcher is just chock full of them, so I know they are breeding, but I haven’t really noticed many juveniles/babies in the tank lately, and when I first started caring for the tank I saw an abundance of different sizes but now they’re mostly just adults, so I’m worried the eggs are not hatching. Is there anything I can do to encourage the eggs to hatch?
I’ve been keeping the salinity at 1.026, temperature at 74°f, a large sponge filter, a couple of low flow bubblers to keep the water moving and there is an abundance of phytoplankton growing in the water.
Thanks in advance for any advice ❤️

Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've never bred Artemia in a static culture - I would just hatch nauplii and then raise them up in tanks and feed them out when they matured.

Can you post a picture of your set up?

Jay

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I wish I had good advice for you. Sounds like a big thing to just be thrown at you without knowing what you doing lol. I mean hatching eggs from a jar is simple, but seems like maintaining a 300g breeding culture might have a learning curve though! Wish you the best of luck keep us updated!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back