Bristletooth Tang ID

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy came in as a Striated Bristletooth (Ctenochaetus striatus) but I'm having my doubts. I haven't been able to find many good photos of C. striatus, especially juveniles, but I don't see any with a white lyre shaped tail.

Sorry for the less than stellar photos, but s/he won't stay still.

Tang 2.jpg
Tang1.jpg

SkillKing21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a wound or it was born that way.I have had a blue tang with a V shaped tail.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a dull and dark blue/gray with barely distinguishable lines. Was almost pure silver in the LFS but changed to this colouration within hours. I've looked at C. flavicauda as a possibility, but all the photos I've seen show a reddish fish with distinct markings.

SkillKing21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a dull and dark blue/gray with barely distinguishable lines. Was almost pure silver in the LFS but changed to this colouration within hours. I've looked at C. flavicauda as a possibility, but all the photos I've seen show a reddish fish with distinct markings.
How long has the fish been in the tank?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no tang expert but I'm not sure that's a bristle tooth.

C. biospinatus has the spots near the tail but it's not white. It almost looks like a stressed Lavender tang?

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no tang expert but I'm not sure that's a bristle tooth.

C. biospinatus has the spots near the tail but it's not white. It almost looks like a stressed Lavender tang?

You might be right about it not being a bristletooth. It does look a lot like Acanthurus nigrofuscus but the white tail is still throwing me off. Could be juvi colours I guess.

How long has the fish been in the tank?

Only about a week.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an acanthurus tang. Which, I am unsure. So many look so similar. I’ve even seen some Acanthurus pyroferus regional variants that look quite similar. As associate the chocolate tang with primarily the Lemonpeel mimic tang variant but there are others.

But I don’t think that’s the ID, just making a point that they vary significantly within species. I don’t think it’s a bristletooth tang based on the shape but as young tangs they can be somewhat similar in appearance as well.

I also don’t think that’s a lavender tang they don’t gave white tails, typically.

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks almost like a Lavendar Tang I used to own without the tail.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an acanthurus tang. Which, I am unsure.

I also don’t think that’s a lavender tang they don’t gave white tails, typically.

Yeah, I was taking a shot based upon the spots at the base of the tail. What other acanthurus tangs have those?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the pointed anal and dorsal fin look more like a bristle tooth tang. I guess the orange shoulder tang has pointed fins but most Acanthurus tangs I can think of have rounded dorsal and anal fins?

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions. Will try for some better pics later on once the lights are on.
Cheers

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the pointed anal and dorsal fin look more like a bristle tooth tang. I guess the orange shoulder tang has pointed fins but most Acanthurus tangs I can think of have rounded dorsal and anal fins?
Now that I see it on a bigger screen I agree.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was taking a shot based upon the spots at the base of the tail. What other acanthurus tangs have those?

You know what - tomini tangs do have spots like that at the base of tail. @Rybren can you get a shot without as much blue? Is there any yellow at all I’m the dorsal or anal fin?

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what - tomini tangs do have spots like that at the base of tail. @Rybren can you get a shot without as much blue? Is there any yellow at all I’m the dorsal or anal fin?

There isn't any yellow on any of the fins. The eyes have a narrow yellow ring. Will try taking some pics with no blues on, however, the colour in the pics above are pretty close to what the fish looks like with the lighting at my normal daytime full setting. The tank doesn't have a blue tinge to it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 161 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back