Brown acropora

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReeferPat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReeferPat

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
139
Reaction score
191
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I bought a "Tank Grown Acropora Frag Pack" from Aquasd a week or so ago. In the pics two were pink, one was pink with green tips and one was purple. When I got them in the mail they were all a shade of pale brown (one did still have some green tips). These are my first acropora and I'm wondering if they will color up in time, and, if so, how long might it take?

The tank is a 40-gallon AIO cube, mixed reef.

Parameters have been fairly steady as follows:
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 77.5-78.5
PH: 8.2
Amm: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10
Phosphates: 0.5
DkH: 8.5
Calcium: 460
Magnesium: 1380

Lighting is one Kessil A360X with 60% at highest intensity about 6 inches of the surface. All SPS are high on the rockwork, about 7-8 inches below surface.

Reef1.jpg
 
Aqua SD stuff is pretty true to life, they’re not too far from me. I don’t think Will and his team photoshops their pics much, if at all.

Browning can happen during shipping and will recover and color up as long as you provide good, stable conditions. I wouldn’t worry about it too much if it’s just brown.
 
Your first problem is believing in the vendor's photoshop pics.
I know the pics might not represent what the coral will actually look like when I get them. However, I've gotten corals from AquaSD before that didn't look much like the pic but colored up nicely within a few days. Never acropora though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new