Brown algae in new reef tank

Partsman19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just turned a 30 gallon breeder tank into a salt water aquarium with live rock, sand, mushroom corals and a couple of clown fish which I took from a 10 gallon tank. I used the sand from the older tank and put new sand on top of the old sand. I let the tank cycle before adding the coral, mushroom and fish. I purchased a Current Orbit LOOP light for the tank and have a couple of power heads and a couple of HOB filters. I am using RO water. My problem is that the tank has been running for 7 weeks now and now the tank has brown algae mostly on the sand. I did a water change last weekend and removed the brown algae but it has returned. Could the setting on my light be wrong which is causing this algae or is the just something a new tank goes through. Please let me know how to get rid of this problem. Thanks

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a diatom bloom which all new tanks go through. There’s some snails and crabs that will eat it and help it pass. Reducing the light may also help but it’s going to happen regardless. Can you post pictures of the algae for confirmation?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms
diatoms_300x215.jpg

Almost sure to appear in a new system, diatoms are some of the most abundant organisms on earth. They usually surface in the aquarium as a brown powdery like substance, within a week or so after a tank finishes its cycle. Diatoms feed on available silicates in your system and will run their course in time. Similarly, because they feed on silicates, anytime you add new sand, rock or something plastic they can pop up.

Manual Removal: Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.

Clean Up Crew: Ceriths, Nerites and Trochus and Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms, as well as the algae species that usually replace them as the silicates in your system are depleted.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms
diatoms_300x215.jpg

Almost sure to appear in a new system, diatoms are some of the most abundant organisms on earth. They usually surface in the aquarium as a brown powdery like substance, within a week or so after a tank finishes its cycle. Diatoms feed on available silicates in your system and will run their course in time. Similarly, because they feed on silicates, anytime you add new sand, rock or something plastic they can pop up.

Manual Removal: Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.

Clean Up Crew: Ceriths, Nerites and Trochus and Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms, as well as the algae species that usually replace them as the silicates in your system are depleted.
That’s a great write up from Reefcleaners. They are one of the best if you are buying CUC through the mail. Posting their whole Nuisance Algae ID Guide because it may help with other problem algae’s as well.

Back