Brown algae what is it

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers this is a 40 gallon cube tank with a 15 gallon sump. The tank has been up since the end of November and I'm running into this brown algae. I have an ai prime 16 running at 75% of the ecotechs spectrum. Not sure how to get rid of it. Thanks

20200203_163847.jpg 20200203_163853.jpg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank? If yes, diatoms. Can’t tell from the picture but if it’s stringy then it could be dynos.

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank? If yes, diatoms. Can’t tell from the picture but if it’s stringy then it could be dynos.

Yes it's only a few months old grows fast comes off easy with a Turkey baster nitrates at .01 and phosphate at .05

20200203_201816.jpg

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinos to me. Turn your lights off for 3 days and dos nitrifying bacteria and 1ml of 3% peroxide per 10G of water each day and you should see some improvement. Don’t put peroxide in at the same time as adding bacteria. If your running anything to artificially lower nutrients like GFO stop immediately.

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get rid of it?
Yup Dinos

See the comment above yours. Also adding a UV light will help allot. You can also read the 10 mile long thread on Dinos in the Algae section.

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup Dinos

See the comment above yours. Also adding a UV light will help allot. You can also read the 10 mile long thread on Dinos in the Algae section.

Thanks everyone

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One comment about Dinos, they tend to spike because they can reproduce very quickly so any drastic change you make to your tank can cause them to occur so if you dos too much Vibrant that kills green algae rapidly it lets the dinos get a foothold and take over. Slow and steady works much better.

Rip3618

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinos to me. Turn your lights off for 3 days and dos nitrifying bacteria and 1ml of 3% peroxide per 10G of water each day and you should see some improvement. Don’t put peroxide in at the same time as adding bacteria. If your running anything to artificially lower nutrients like GFO stop immediately.

I’m having the same issue with a dino outbreak. How much nitrifying bacteria do you suggest we dos? Regarding not adding the peroxide at the same time as the bacteria, can you explain a little more? Examples, do we add peroxide in the morning and dos bacteria at night? Or, add peroxide, 12 hours later dos bacteria, 12 hours later add peroxide, 12 hours later dos bacteria, etc?

One comment about Dinos, they tend to spike because they can reproduce very quickly so any drastic change you make to your tank can cause them to occur so if you dos too much Vibrant that kills green algae rapidly it lets the dinos get a foothold and take over. Slow and steady works much better.

You hit the nail on the head! This is exactly what is happening to me with Vibrant. I’m going to stop adding Vibrant until I get the Dino’s under control and cut my Vibrant dos in half once I start adding it again.

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same question as @rip36i have been doing my tank for three days and have seen a huge improvement. I have no pox on hand but when should I does it? @LegendaryCG thanks

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the same issue with a dino outbreak. How much nitrifying bacteria do you suggest we dos? Regarding not adding the peroxide at the same time as the bacteria, can you explain a little more? Examples, do we add peroxide in the morning and dos bacteria at night? Or, add peroxide, 12 hours later dos bacteria, 12 hours later add peroxide, 12 hours later dos bacteria, etc?

You hit the nail on the head! This is exactly what is happening to me with Vibrant. I’m going to stop adding Vibrant until I get the Dino’s under control and cut my Vibrant dos in half once I start adding it again.

Around 2ml per 10g of water for most nitrifying bacteria products, they all have different concentrations so it’s kinda just a guideline. It‘s unlikely to cause any issues if you over dos it but I’d use caution if it’s a multi bacteria like microbacter7 as this probably has similar strains to Vibrant (just guessing based on description). Add this in the morning.

The peroxide will work best at night when the lights are out as some Dino’s usually enter the water column and will get exposed to the peroxide.

Finally, while no one wants a ton of algae in their tank it’s much easier to manage than Dino’s so once your tank starts getting back on track just ease back into algae management.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same question as @rip36i have been doing my tank for three days and have seen a huge improvement. I have no pox on hand but when should I does it? @LegendaryCG thanks

I’d wait until your tank appears to be dino free for a couple weeks and you start to see some algae growth. No pox is less aggressive than vibrant but they both will result in a similar effect.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back