Brown banded bamboo shark

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more of a rant than anything but I went by LFS this morning to grab fish food and I look in one of the display tanks and I see a 10” brown banded bamboo shark. Beautiful little female shark and there’s a couple standing there looking at it like a couple of little kids all giddy and excited. Then I see the owner coming over with a plastic bag and I know what that means. Apparently this couple had been asking for one for a couple months now. I say to the couple, “Wow you guys are taking home the shark that’s awesome! How big is your set up?” The husband says, “Oh, it’s a 75 gallon.” I immediately felt my face getting hot and this rage swell over me picturing this shark in a 75 gallon tank and I started thinking about all the posts I’ve read about people trying to put sharks in tanks far too small for the animals. Of course he sees the look on my face and says, “I plan on upgrading.” And I’m thinking you wanted a shark and you know dang well that 75 is too small so why wouldn’t you just wait to get an appropriately sized tank?? It took everything I had not to say anything to him or the store owner I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Then he starts asking the owner about what to feed?? I’m like are you kidding me right now?? Again here’s this guy and his wife who wanted a shark so bad but haven’t invested in the set up or the care requirements of an animal that we all know requires an above average level of care and commitment. I haven’t been this irritated in a long time. I watched them walk out the door with that shark and I felt sick to my stomach. I’ve always wanted a shark tank and ironically I’m setting up a 360 gallon tank that would allow to do so. But after all my research about their care requirements and suitable tank mates I’m still not comfortable getting one. And mind you that’s an 8 foot long by 3 foot wide footprint and I’m still not totally confident in being able to care for one. These people are going to throw this poor shark in a tank 1/5 of that! Anyhow I just needed to get that off my chest before I go to work. Those of you who have made the commitment with tank set up and provide the proper care for sharks on here will I’m sure be as upset as I am to read this. If you are a prospective shark owner please read this over before you make an impulsive purchase of one of these animals and please educate yourself and ask yourself if you really have a suitable set up for one of these beautiful animals or if it’s just your selfish wants and needs and not the welfare of the shark?

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more of a rant than anything but I went by LFS this morning to grab fish food and I look in one of the display tanks and I see a 10” brown banded bamboo shark. Beautiful little female shark and there’s a couple standing there looking at it like a couple of little kids all giddy and excited. Then I see the owner coming over with a plastic bag and I know what that means. Apparently this couple had been asking for one for a couple months now. I say to the couple, “Wow you guys are taking home the shark that’s awesome! How big is your set up?” The husband says, “Oh, it’s a 75 gallon.” I immediately felt my face getting hot and this rage swell over me picturing this shark in a 75 gallon tank and I started thinking about all the posts I’ve read about people trying to put sharks in tanks far too small for the animals. Of course he sees the look on my face and says, “I plan on upgrading.” And I’m thinking you wanted a shark and you know dang well that 75 is too small so why wouldn’t you just wait to get an appropriately sized tank?? It took everything I had not to say anything to him or the store owner I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Then he starts asking the owner about what to feed?? I’m like are you kidding me right now?? Again here’s this guy and his wife who wanted a shark so bad but haven’t invested in the set up or the care requirements of an animal that we all know requires an above average level of care and commitment. I haven’t been this irritated in a long time. I watched them walk out the door with that shark and I felt sick to my stomach. I’ve always wanted a shark tank and ironically I’m setting up a 360 gallon tank that would allow to do so. But after all my research about their care requirements and suitable tank mates I’m still not comfortable getting one. And mind you that’s an 8 foot long by 3 foot wide footprint and I’m still not totally confident in being able to care for one. These people are going to throw this poor shark in a tank 1/5 of that! Anyhow I just needed to get that off my chest before I go to work. Those of you who have made the commitment with tank set up and provide the proper care for sharks on here will I’m sure be as upset as I am to read this. If you are a prospective shark owner please read this over before you make an impulsive purchase of one of these animals and please educate yourself and ask yourself if you really have a suitable set up for one of these beautiful animals or if it’s just your selfish wants and needs and not the welfare of the shark?
I have a ten footer and haven't gotten a bamboo or horn with how big they get. I stuck to true catsharks. Definitely criminal to keep potentially a 3 foot shark in a 75 no matter the dimensions

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before jumping to conclusions take into consideration the growth rate of bamboo sharks. It can take up to a few years before it needs a proper adult size tank. A 75 gallon with plenty of bottom space (not a lot of rock and large sand bed area) is ok for the first 1.5'-2'. id recommend they get a 4'x8' mostly sand bottom tank before too long. I prefer juvenile bamboo sharks in a smaller tank because they can be more delicate and finicky eaters. Hatching into a 40 breeder. Then moving into a 48"x36" x18" when it gets to about 1.5' long after that into a 4'x8'x2' mostly sand bottom. There is absolutely no need to put a 6-8" baby shark in its final tank. You will most likely never see it and you will have a harder time feeding it and keeping it healthy.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ten footer and haven't gotten a bamboo or horn with how big they get. I stuck to true catsharks. Definitely criminal to keep potentially a 3 foot shark in a 75 no matter the dimensions
It is perfectly acceptable to keep a juvenile in a tank that size. But I agree, a full grown bamboo shark in a 75 gallon should be criminal. And is definitely animal cruelty

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before jumping to conclusions take into consideration the growth rate of bamboo sharks. It can take up to a few years before it needs a proper adult size tank. A 75 gallon with plenty of bottom space (not a lot of rock and large sand bed area) is ok for the first 1.5'-2'. id recommend they get a 4'x8' mostly sand bottom tank before too long. I prefer juvenile bamboo sharks in a smaller tank because they can be more delicate and finicky eaters. Hatching into a 40 breeder. Then moving into a 48"x36" x18" when it gets to about 1.5' long after that into a 4'x8'x2' mostly sand bottom. There is absolutely no need to put a 6-8" baby shark in its final tank. You will most likely never see it and you will have a harder time feeding it and keeping it healthy.
Fair enough if I ever run into the guy that actually bought the shark I’ll pass that along.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough if I ever run into the guy that actually bought the shark I’ll pass that along.
One very important thing that a lot of people overlook is it's not about the total water volume in relation to height of the tank but in surface area of the bottom. Relatively smooth rock structure. Almost like little islands in the sand with cut throughs or caves for the shark to hide are best. Jagged rocks are to be avoided at all costs

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful 20" female in my 180, and probably one of the best purchases ive ever made. Showstopper of an animal. Doesnt bother anything. Easy to feed. +1 to anyone that can house one.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 96"x24"x36" maybe 360 gallons. But a bamboo shark will be better off in a tank thats 72"x36"x18" and is 200 gallons.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re also missing the whole point that based on the questions they were asking that they had zero experience with sharks. Secondly your point on juveniles being suitable for a smaller tank makes sense however how many people actually commit to purchasing a large set up like what is required for bamboo sharks?? You don’t just pull that out of your **s one day. It’s a major investment. My bet is that shark-if they keep it alive-ends up back at the LFS.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re also missing the whole point that based on the questions they were asking that they had zero experience with sharks. Secondly your point on juveniles being suitable for a smaller tank makes sense however how many people actually commit to purchasing a large set up like what is required for bamboo sharks?? You don’t just pull that out of your **s one day. It’s a major investment. My bet is that shark-if they keep it alive-ends up back at the LFS.
That is very true. And is an unfortunate reality with the hobby. Hopefully if they don't make the proper investment it will end up at a zoo or proper aquarium facility. I don't know about your area but in my area they are always Happy to take them in.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very true. And is an unfortunate reality with the hobby. Hopefully if they don't make the proper investment it will end up at a zoo or proper aquarium facility. I don't know about your area but in my area they are always Happy to take them in.
Its also fact that most of our run of the mill LFs's dont even carry tanks large enough to house a bamboo.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
10" is ok for now but the big question is, did they research, did the LFS educate them on needs and if they have proper setting with sand and filtration as they are messy housekeepers yet do not tolerate nitrate well and best in slightly cooler temps, etc
I see the concern but without further knowledge where they are at, it may be going to a good home. It was your best opportunity to ask how their tank was set up , sand bottom, intended foods, etc

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its also fact that most of our run of the mill LFs's dont even carry tanks large enough to house a bamboo.
There are two in my area that have tanks large enough to house bamboo sharks, but only one of them has tanks that are set up in a way that it could be done and only one of those tanks is currently being used to house bamboo sharks but other than that there really isn't any and I don't think they will take them in anymore.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10" is ok for now but the big question is, did they research, did the LFS educate them on needs and if they have proper setting with sand and filtration as they are messy housekeepers yet do not tolerate nitrate well and best in slightly cooler temps, etc
I see the concern but without further knowledge where they are at, it may be going to a good home. It was your best opportunity to ask how their tank was set up , sand bottom, intended foods, etc
It's just unlikely that they did the proper research and that an LFS truly understands the care requirements for any elasmobranch. Even ignoring the tank size and assuming best case scenario that they have an upgrade in the works (which never seems to be the case) they are just a lot different needs than most fish. Iodine supplementation to prevent goiter, if it's wild caught the process for stick feed training, sand granularity, tank mates for eye protection etc. As much as I love my LFS and have many around me selling rays/bamboos none of them have the knowledge to successfully keep them long term and one should have an idea of how to keep expert fish before just jumping in the deep end. It's just not what most people do though and it's why we see so many posts like "why is my mandarin dying?!". Fingers crossed everything turns out fine but more than likely they will find the care requirements out of their skill level and it will either get rehomed or die :(

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just unlikely that they did the proper research and that an LFS truly understands the care requirements for any elasmobranch. Even ignoring the tank size and assuming best case scenario that they have an upgrade in the works (which never seems to be the case) they are just a lot different needs than most fish. Iodine supplementation to prevent goiter, if it's wild caught the process for stick feed training, sand granularity, tank mates for eye protection etc. As much as I love my LFS and have many around me selling rays/bamboos none of them have the knowledge to successfully keep them long term and one should have an idea of how to keep expert fish before just jumping in the deep end. It's just not what most people do though and it's why we see so many posts like "why is my mandarin dying?!". Fingers crossed everything turns out fine but more than likely they will find the care requirements out of their skill level and it will either get rehomed or die :(
Thank you for posting this! This is exactly what I’ve been trying to say I suppose I didn’t articulate well enough but yeah I totally agree with everything you just said. I suppose you can take the high road as vetteguy said and assume they have the knowledge and larger set up standing by for that shark but I’m with you in that usually doesn’t happen.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this! This is exactly what I’ve been trying to say I suppose I didn’t articulate well enough but yeah I totally agree with everything you just said. I suppose you can take the high road as vetteguy said and assume they have the knowledge and larger set up standing by for that shark but I’m with you in that usually doesn’t happen.
That being said I also do agree with the last part Vette said and a general belief i hold in life, it would probably have been a good time to kindly interject and start a conversation centered on learning as opposed to anger. Maybe some gentle nudging would have changed their minds, or gotten them to go home and do some more prep work. Or maybe you would have found they had everything ready to go! I think a lot of people are intimated by places like this as opposed to the LFS because people here aren't afraid to voice their opinions

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back