Brown dusting

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a brown dusting on most everything. From time to time it is worse than other times. I need to clean my glass ever 2 days it seems. When I last measured my phosphate it was 0.11 ppm. I'm assuming this is the root of the issue. Is nitrate usually a factor in this brown dusting of algae too?

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Got any pictures?
Here's what my frag rack and back wall look like. I dont clean them. It's not hair algea, but there is a slight filamentous nature to it.
524e6230e41c01063e0f36e6d1e7001f.jpg
3f7025a4a4c728a5003f248a9e73cdd7.jpg

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like algae growth of some kind; though I'm not sure exactly what, myself. Perhaps someone on the #reefsquad can id better, but I think the solution is going to be the same - reduce nutrients (feed less and/or clean filters more, possibly chemically reduce with something like Red Sea NoPox) and/or add something that will out-compete it for the nutrients that are there (eg; add a refugium with chaeto if you don't already have one, or increase the photoperiod of it if you do).

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin, do you have a refugium? How about a sump?

I've seen growth like you have on the back of one of my tanks that didn't have a refugium. I think it's algae/diatom growth that has gone unchecked (not cleaned off the glass). I don't think it's a huge problem and what Dave offered should be your first course of action.

If you run a sump but not a refugium, even a small one with macroalgae in it will help remove those nutrients.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it comes off like dust, when you wave your hand.
Then I'm leaning diatom's too.

Are you checking the TDS on your RO/DI water?

I've been tumbling Rowaphos in it's own reactor for years, and love GFO.
Be sure to start off at about 1/4 of a cup to bring things down slow.

If you drop too fast it can shock an entire reef... :eek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like algae growth of some kind; though I'm not sure exactly what, myself. Perhaps someone on the #reefsquad can id better, but I think the solution is going to be the same - reduce nutrients (feed less and/or clean filters more, possibly chemically reduce with something like Red Sea NoPox) and/or add something that will out-compete it for the nutrients that are there (eg; add a refugium with chaeto if you don't already have one, or increase the photoperiod of it if you do).
I think this will be more course of action once I gamet my nitrate test on Friday and can get a number. Adding a refugium may help assist my skimmer and buffer my pH.

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin, do you have a refugium? How about a sump?

I've seen growth like you have on the back of one of my tanks that didn't have a refugium. I think it's algae/diatom growth that has gone unchecked (not cleaned off the glass). I don't think it's a huge problem and what Dave offered should be your first course of action.

If you run a sump but not a refugium, even a small one with macroalgae in it will help remove those nutrients.
I have a sump, no refugium outside of live rock in a compartment down there. I have been considering a cheap refugium.

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it comes off like dust, when you wave your hand.
Then I'm leaning diatom's too.

Are you checking the TDS on your RO/DI water?

I've been tumbling Rowaphos in it's own reactor for years, and love GFO.
Be sure to start off at about 1/4 of a cup to bring things down slow.

If you drop too fast it can shock an entire reef... :eek:

Yes, I would say it does blow off of a degree. My TDS is 3 coming out of membrane and 0 coming out of mixed bed DI resin. I flush before every use.

I want to see what my nitrate is on Friday before jumping to a refugium and or media.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin, I think you are taking a very good approach to this. I look forward to your update. Good luck.

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate came in at 1 ppm on two seperate tests with two different sets of eyes. Nyos test kit.

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates checked in at 0 ppm and phosphate at 1 ppB (yes, ppb).

Samd still has spots of algae dusting and the back wall and frag rack has a whiteish filimentous algae about 1/4" long. I scraped it like a month ago and it came back.
4a34fc148e50484f39c6c979c8a37eba.jpg
ba31045dfdcdb8c37a7ea99744f30683.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back