Brown Jelly on New Torch

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend bought a torch from our LFS for me about a week ago. When I got home from work today I noticed all of this brown jelly building up on the skeleton of the torch.
20210325_132721.jpg

I called the LFS and notified them of the issue. They recommended that I use either Iodine dip or H2O2 dip. I used the latter and dipped the torch about 3 separate times and used a pipette to dislodge all the brown jelly. Here is what the torch looks like now:
20210325_143457.jpg

Less than half of the torch has survived so far. I really just want to ask... is there a chance for this torch to survive and make a comeback? I really don't want to have my girlfriend's gift to go to waste, but I also do not want to have the brown jelly spread to any of the other euphyilla that are in my tank.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
bjd is bacterial,
i believe ab’s like cipro are the best course of action...

i had a terrible bout many years ago,
let me see if i can dig up what i used

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually jusy did the cipro dosing for my lps nano. Showpieces died, but after cipro I haven’t seen any deaths.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to try chemiclean over this weekend and see if that prevents the spread of the brown jelly disease to my other euphyllia. I had checked on them this morning and they all seem okay, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I will update this thread after the chemiclean treatment is finished.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to try chemiclean over this weekend and see if that prevents the spread of the brown jelly disease to my other euphyllia. I had checked on them this morning and they all seem okay, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I will update this thread after the chemiclean treatment is finished.
I don’t believe chemi clean actually treats for bjd, just cyano and other types of bjd. I’d recommend cipro, super easy

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend bought a torch from our LFS for me about a week ago. When I got home from work today I noticed all of this brown jelly building up on the skeleton of the torch.
20210325_132721.jpg

I called the LFS and notified them of the issue. They recommended that I use either Iodine dip or H2O2 dip. I used the latter and dipped the torch about 3 separate times and used a pipette to dislodge all the brown jelly. Here is what the torch looks like now:
20210325_143457.jpg

Less than half of the torch has survived so far. I really just want to ask... is there a chance for this torch to survive and make a comeback? I really don't want to have my girlfriend's gift to go to waste, but I also do not want to have the brown jelly spread to any of the other euphyilla that are in my tank.
I just went through a major BJD infection, as I’m sure was mentioned I’d remove the infected piece to reduce the chance of infection to any other euphyllia (turn off flow before removing).
I treated my tank with Ciprofloxacin which seemed to help and definitely has stopped the BJD in my tank.
check out this article for future reference:

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't chemiclean antibacterial though?
Yeah, but it’s been proven to actually kill cyano and other bacterial/algae forms. I just did an experimental test of cipro dosing on my tank, and I have had a couple successful splits and recoveries rather than just die offs.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through a major BJD infection, as I’m sure was mentioned I’d remove the infected piece to reduce the chance of infection to any other euphyllia (turn off flow before removing).
I treated my tank with Ciprofloxacin which seemed to help and definitely has stopped the BJD in my tank.
check out this article for future reference:
Agreed, for some reason the bacteria for bjd hate cipro.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe chemi clean actually treats for bjd, just cyano and other types of bjd. I’d recommend cipro, super easy
Isn't chemiclean antibacterial
Yeah, but it’s been proven to actually kill cyano and other bacterial/algae forms. I just did an experimental test of cipro dosing on my tank, and I have had a couple successful splits and recoveries rather than just die offs.
Awesome to hear! Where can I get cipro and do I need a specific brand of it?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't chemiclean antibacterial though?
Folks have used chemiclean to help but the issue is you can spot dose in the tank. Cipro seems to have little impact on the tank, though I did do a water change after the 7 day treatment. All indications though are Cipro dissolves into the water column.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back