Brown Jelly?

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and one of my rock flower nems looks like it caught brown jelly and melted overnight? What do you guys think?? I didn’t even know they could contract it

811DB49C-70A3-4F0B-81C1-E5CC8DFDFD6F.jpeg AE172BC9-DBD5-4D87-B247-9CA52D35D18E.jpeg 5A68F2B7-73D8-4ECC-AC7D-6B74BD22ACD3.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and one of my rock flower nems looks like it caught brown jelly and melted overnight? What do you guys think?? I didn’t even know they could contract it

Sorry to say I can't help much. I've never experienced 'brown jelly' in my tanks or even in others tanks that I get to see personally. And I've never heard of a RFA being affected by it.

At the very least, I'd pull that rock and quarantine it in a smaller tank. And I'll follow along here to see how things work out for you here. Good luck.

Anybody got more experience with 'brown jelly'? #reefsquad

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it?

I have had rock nems die overnight, but I don’t think it’s the same thing as brown jelly at least in my case, they didn’t have that distinctive horrid brown jelly smell. It has been my experience that I lose around 10% of new rock nems that come in. I suspect most are recently collected and have some small tears that are only exacerbated when being held and shipped to you.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive experienced brown jelly twice and it definitely looks like it. Turn off the pumps and take it out IMMEDIATELY. Do not try to turkey baste while in the tank as it spreads fast. I lost an incredible hulk and NY khicks torch due to it. Now idk about nems getting them but just to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got the nem but it came from another hobbiest who had it for awhile. It was happy and healthy 2 days ago and bright orange. Woke up in the morning and was completely gone. I removed it from the tank and hopefully nothing else is affected. Pretty confident it was brown jelly

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first blush, it does look like BJD, however I was unsuccessful inoculating aiptasia, mojanos, or maxi minis with BJD, so I really have nothing I can add about BJD and anemones. If you find my write up on BJD though, I'd probably forgo the peroxide treatment and either just QT, or if I did anything, I might treat it more like a sick anemone and use a fluoroquinolone like Cipro.

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first blush, it does look like BJD, however I was unsuccessful inoculating aiptasia, mojanos, or maxi minis with BJD, so I really have nothing I can add about BJD and anemones. If you find my write up on BJD though, I'd probably forgo the peroxide treatment and either just QT, or if I did anything, I might treat it more like a sick anemone and use a fluoroquinolone like Cipro.
I tossed it. I always remove pieces that get brown jelly. The needs of the many outweigh the needs on the few. Survival rate once contracted is very low, I would rather just get it out of the tank. I was just surprised it was nem that got it. I have only every had it on euphyilla

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia seems to be the most commonly affected, although a variety of other LPS and soft corals are less commonly affected and a much larger subset are susceptible. Glad you caught it in time- keep an eye on the rest of the tank for a few days, otherwise, happy reefing!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back