Brown jelly?

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Duncan that was not doing too well, but it was still opened. It was opened this morning but I just caught it closed up with some slime on it. Is this brown jelly?
image.jpg

image.jpg

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My duncan did this just yesterday.

It had 12+ heads and when I got home almost all of them were covered in brown slime like this.

The day before it was fine. So overnight something must have really got to it and compromised it leading to an infection that spread VERY rapidly.

I have been losing a head here or there every week or two for the last couple months. I think the cause is my clownfish are getting really agressive with it trying to get it to host them, but it could also be that the heads were bunch very tightly together.

I didn't even take a picture of it though because I was so scared the jelly would spread to my euphylia that I just yanked it right out and tried to dip it/ hold it in a bucket, but it did not survive.

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My duncan did this just yesterday.

It had 12+ heads and when I got home almost all of them were covered in brown slime like this.

The day before it was fine. So overnight something must have really got to it and compromised it leading to an infection that spread VERY rapidly.

I have been losing a head here or there every week or two for the last couple months. I think the cause is my clownfish are getting really agressive with it trying to get it to host them, but it could also be that the heads were bunch very tightly together.

I didn't even take a picture of it though because I was so scared the jelly would spread to my euphylia that I just yanked it right out and tried to dip it/ hold it in a bucket, but it did not survive.
I dipped it and sucked all the jelly and dead tissue away. I put it back in the tank but it’s looking real bad I don’t think it’s going to come back. I’m probably going to toss it so nothing spreads.

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar happen to my 10+ head duncan recently. I blew away the brown gunk (in a bowl of water..not DT) and dipped it in lugols for 5 min. It's puffed up again since then. It's definitely up to your own discretion whether you want to keep it or not

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diluted peroxide dip ,though harsher, may be more effective. Alot of people have had luck dosing Cipro if you can get it. The jelly itself is just dead, necrotic tissue. The underlying cause is likely still present.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this with my 10 head duncan. Lost 3 heads in hours and then spread to my beautiful torch corals. Tried multiple dips with no positive affect. I ended up losing 6 corals but this is how I stopped the spread. First I removed infected corals. Then I ran chemiclean. Now I'm running a heavy carbon bag in my sump. The BJD has stopped spreading and all my remaining corals are fine. You need to make sure water parameters are perfect also.

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this with my 10 head duncan. Lost 3 heads in hours and then spread to my beautiful torch corals. Tried multiple dips with no positive affect. I ended up losing 6 corals but this is how I stopped the spread. First I removed infected corals. Then I ran chemiclean. Now I'm running a heavy carbon bag in my sump. The BJD has stopped spreading and all my remaining corals are fine. You need to make sure water parameters are perfect also.
I have a decent bag of carbon already running in the back of my tank. I tested my water today all the parameters were great.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Probably expelling zooxanthellae due to lack of light- water flow, food or all of them.
Assure also that nitrate and Phosphate are NOT elevated

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a decent bag of carbon already running in the back of my tank. I tested my water today all the parameters were great.
My parameters got off which triggered the BJD. The chemiclean followed by carbon overload stopped my outbreak but cipro is the best option if you can get some.

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably expelling zooxanthellae due to lack of light- water flow, food or all of them.
Assure also that nitrate and Phosphate are NOT elevated
I honestly thought I had it in too much light. It was up with my torch and frogspawn and was getting the torch’s flow, but it never opened up like when I first got it. My nitrates are <2 and phosphate at .04. I saw more “dying” tissue on it so I took it out again to syphon whatever was on it and a bunch of little brown and black particles came out of what’s left of the polyp. I think it’s a goner

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar happen to my 10+ head duncan recently. I blew away the brown gunk (in a bowl of water..not DT) and dipped it in lugols for 5 min. It's puffed up again since then. It's definitely up to your own discretion whether you want to keep it or not
I pulled it out blew the tissue off and dipped in iodine. It didn’t puff back up and the dying tissue only came back. I just blew a bunch of brown and black particles out from the polyp. I think it’s time to say my final goodbye.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best to remove infected pieces and run the chemiclean followed by heavy carbon in my opinion. I'm not an expert but a large coral distributor gave me the advice when he trues to save his large tanks.

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best to remove infected pieces and run the chemiclean followed by heavy carbon in my opinion. I'm not an expert but a large coral distributor gave me the advice when he trues to save his large tanks.
I’ll definitely pick up the chemiclean and carbon tomorrow all my lfs have closed for the day

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, brown jelly kills fast. Hopefully it won’t be too late by the time You pick up chemiclean. Good luck. I lost a nice Duncan because of brown jelly. I feel your pain.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back