BRS 2-part dosing prices

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your help. Any idea how much to mix in order to get 1gallon?

I didn't answer your question directly. The below table should spell it out. The Briners Choice (food grade) calcium chloride 50 lb. bag will make 56 gallons.... a little much? :) The cost per container includes about $23 in shipping costs.

1648744775382.png

Again, the discussion is really about alternatives whether you use enough to warrant it is a personal decision. And whether you desire lab grade vs. food grade vs. industrial chemicals is another consideration. I'll admit it's convenient to just buy 2 part and be done with it. But like Joe and Beau I consider value (defined as the optimization of cost and quality) and the overall cost of the hobby vs enjoyment. As I said, I've been doing this a lot of years and although inflation is reeking havoc on everything there are some disproportionate changes going on in the vacuum.

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But the problem is the cumulative effect. This is hardly the first time people have complained about a price increase. If you're suddenly paying $100/yr more for 2 part and a price increase in salt and a price increase in versa pumps and a price increase in Neptune gear and a price increase on lights and a price increase in tanks and a price increase in shipping costs and a price increase in livestock (how many times do you buy something at the LFS to hear the owner/employee say 'wow, $50? These were $10 a few years ago').

So, the $100/yr on 2 part might be part of an extra $1000/yr on the hobby as a whole.

Plus, keep in mind, a lot of people aren't going to get evicted because of an extra $100 a year, but it's just a hobby and at some point it gets to the point where it's simply not worth it to you. Not that you're out of money, just that the amount of money you're putting into it isn't worth the enjoyment you're getting out of it.

But we aren't talking about price increases on everything in this thread. It was about 2 part doubling in price (which I don't like either. I got my 35lbs of BRS 2 part for $90 on sale back around Black Friday.)

To your point about prices increasing, tell me where that isn't happening? Been to McDonald's recently? McDouble, fries, and drink is $6 locally. Used to be under $4 a year ago.

Go with IO salt to save some costs. Go with the BRS dosing pump for $70 or whatever it is. Don't need Versa pumps that are stupid overpriced. If the hobby is costing you another $1000/yr right now, you are doing something wrong.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why you'd say this...
But we aren't talking about price increases on everything in this thread. It was about 2 part doubling in price

and then do *exactly* the same thing yourself....
To your point about prices increasing, tell me where that isn't happening? Been to McDonald's recently? McDouble, fries, and drink is $6 locally. Used to be under $4 a year ago.

The point I made was that, while people in this thread are annoyed at the 2-part going up, it's not just that. The people deciding the hobby isn't worth it are getting hit with all kinds of increases and for some of them, it's just not worth it anymore (either to shell out the extra money or get cheaper supplies/equipment/livestock).

Go with the BRS dosing pump for $70 or whatever it is. Don't need Versa pumps that are stupid overpriced.
Two things here. I'm not sure if you've compared Versa pumps to the BRS dosing pumps but they're not even in the same league (ie no speed control, no stepper motors, they're loud AF for what they do, they can't be calibrated, always on when power is being supplied etc). Secondly, at least for me, 'keep the livestock alive', while a big part of this, isn't all of it. There's lots of other parts of the hobby and if you can't enjoy those parts also, the hobby as a whole runs the risk of falling by the wayside (for you, not in general).

To each their own.

View Badges
I think you are confused. $109 for 4gal of each is not a deal; 8gal of product total. Roughly $13/gal.

Even BRS product will make somewhere around 5x that for 2x price. Or about $5/gal of prepared solution.

Collectively we are sourcing alternatives for the $2/gal mark or better, sometimes much better with concessions on purity.

These are bar napkin numbers, but the point remains.

View Badges
4 gallons each 8 gallons total is a deal for 109,saltwateraquarium sells 1 gallon each of 2 part for 40 dollars, you would have to spend 160 dollars to match 8 gallons total on aquacave BRS sells theres same amount for 200 huge savings at aquacave

View Badges
Just look at smaller shops online still lower prices then bigger companies stay small and save money.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with you on this calculation, and that's ok. If paying $109 for 8 gallons is better for your situation than $398 for 66 gallons, then that's what you should do. I just paid about $150 for 78 gallons worth of Fritz and feel ok about it, although it will take me a few years to use!

I do agree that there are other places beyond BRS to purchase goods, and it can be advantageous to price compare. I like to support my local brick & mortar shop too, even when it's a little more. Happy reefing.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4 gallons each 8 gallons total is a deal for 109,saltwateraquarium sells 1 gallon each of 2 part for 40 dollars, you would have to spend 160 dollars to match 8 gallons total on aquacave BRS sells theres same amount for 200 huge savings at aquacave

Your comparison makes no sense.

You are saying that $13.63 per gallon is cheaper than $5.71 per gallon. Yeah no...

BRS is $200 for 35 gallons of solution.

Saltwater Aquarium is $700 for 35 gallons with your numbers.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly the esv stuff is way more concentrated than the brs stuff. I wouldn't even pretend to know how to calculate the cost given the difference in potency.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly the esv stuff is way more concentrated than the brs stuff. I wouldn't even pretend to know how to calculate the cost given the difference in potency.

That turns out to be true, and I hadn't accounted for that. It appears it gets dosed at 60% volume compared to Randy/BRS. So... there is that. STILL more expensive, but not by the previously calculated margin.

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV is 1.5x more potent than the BRS solution per Randy Holmes-Farley notes.

N-A-S-O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food grade calcium chloride. 151 lbs for $135.14

Attachments

• calcium.png
    calcium.png
    113 KB · Views: 69

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with you on this calculation, and that's ok. If paying $109 for 8 gallons is better for your situation than $398 for 66 gallons, then that's what you should do. I just paid about $150 for 78 gallons worth of Fritz and feel ok about it, although it will take me a few years to use!

I do agree that there are other places beyond BRS to purchase goods, and it can be advantageous to price compare. I like to support my local brick & mortar shop too, even when it's a little more. Happy reefing.
I do the same, we have a couple of very good local stores up here and I'll pay more to support what they provide.

I see a 40 lbs. bucket of Fritz sodium carbonate (soda ash) is $72 on Amazon....very interesting. You say you're ok with it any apprehension on their quality?

Anyone else have experience with their product? might be a nice alternative?

Fritz SDS:

1648765750693.png

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing how people want to shift/redirect the reason for all this inflation to the middle man such as BRS. When in fact I would be willing to bet most all of you know who is actually to blame. But you don't want to admit that alot of you had a hand in it . Anybody who couldn't see this comming should be embarrassed.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same, we have a couple of very good local stores up here and I'll pay more to support what they provide.

I see a 40 lbs. bucket of Fritz sodium carbonate (soda ash) is $72 on Amazon....very interesting. You say you're ok with it any apprehension on their quality?

Anyone else have experience with their product? might be a nice alternative?

Fritz SDS:

1648765750693.png

I haven't used it yet, so hard to answer that. I did buy the last bucket from there, and a bucket of soda ash to go with it. I and plenty of others have used Fritz salt (RPM) with success so... I'm going to trust it until something suggests otherwise.

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing how people want to shift/redirect the reason for all this inflation to the middle man such as BRS. When in fact I would be willing to bet most all of you know who is actually to blame. But you don't want to admit that alot of you had a hand in it . Anybody who couldn't see this comming should be embarrassed.

Sorry for the tone but honestly I'm not quite sure I understand your point? Are you saying due to pursuing alternatives the price is going up? Or we are responsible for government policy that has created this quagmire? We owe nothing to BRS or any other business, that would be absurd. All of my wittings have been about finding other solutions which is part of the hobby, I owe as much loyalty to BRS as I do to Target. We are customers and nothing more. I do not doubt that inflation, shipping etc. hit them, but I believe that a significant piece of the pricing is that they now have overlords (Investment bankers / venture capitalists) If you don't believe the investment group is pulling financial strings that would be naïve. Like others I've worked with VC's and there is race to high profitability where possible....that's what they do. The cost of alternatives have not doubled, BRS has....does that imply something?

VC firms take big money from investors that can sit tight with no returns and have their money tied up, probably in this case 3-4 years with idea of showing a business with good revenues, cash flow and solid profitability at the end of that term. They then cash out never to be seen again. If you don't believe they will constantly look for the thresholds in product pricing to find their sweet spot again your kidding yourself, we are all the guinea pigs.

All that being said I do have respect for Ryan as his crew as they are to a large extent hobbyists, but they're also an online business, not a brick and mortar operation for which I will make accommodation.

Sorry to get off topic, but I couldn't help myself.

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of you that are mad about them raising prices better buckle up. Everything is going to go up substantially in price. You don’t like those prices you should try buying farm fertilizer or weed killer…. If you can even get it.
Or pool Chlorine lol

View Badges
Your comparison makes no sense.

You are saying that $13.63 per gallon is cheaper than $5.71 per gallon. Yeah no...

BRS is $200 for 35 gallons of solution.

Saltwater Aquarium is $700 for 35 gallons with your numbers.
2 part saltwateraquarium is 40 dollars for both parts 20 dollars a per gallon /35lbs for 200 dollars of calcium , still need to buy the other part alk. 200 for that so 400 dollars for both parts. expensive/get some baking soda put in oven and make your own.

Last edited by a moderator:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 part saltwateraquarium is 40 dollars for both parts 20 dollars a per gallon /35lbs for 1 part also 400 dollars for both with BRS.

Exactly. $20 per gallon according to you. BRS is $5.71 a gallon. 20 is greater than 5

You can get BRS in 1 gallon increments as well. They don't sniff $20 per gallon.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back