BRS Heater Questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg LOL you should email them. A rather important typo
Ya know... you are right... I'll email them. Safety instructions should be right but maybe we can tease them a little bit on here while they work on the fix. ;)

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh.. and next time you may not want to let @Ryanbrs write the manual for them.....

1572891760447.png

(I think the safety instructions for the internal heating element and the assembled heater unit kinda got mixed together)

I think this is perhaps a misunderstanding of the meaning. This is stating that the element is only meant for indoor use and the plug should not be exposed to moisture, which, in retrospect would probably be a fine way to articulate that, lol.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone remember the Schego M2K3? One of the best air pumps on the market. They just go and go and go. If their heaters are anything like their air pumps I think we have a winner here!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does help, thank you for doing the research! Looks like I'm getting some new heaters for cyber monday! At least I'm hoping you have them back in stock by then!

I am absolutely thrilled you guys have brought these to market. Taking a top rated product, getting it modified for use in the US market, branding it as BRS so you guys handle all warranty claims, and at a price comparable for what the unmodified heaters sell for in Europe. I'm a fan!

Oh.. I understand their confusion on the electrical insulation... The filling serves the purpose I was inquiring about.
Is there a filling material that you're aware of that would be nontoxic? I don't know much about these at all I'm just curious. I'm currently using a finnex 300w so maybe I need to make a change?

U

User1

View Badges
yes, they do.

Layman's terms here (sorry, I'm really dragging today - brutal work week) but this means no grounding probe would be required. If so, does this handle both sump and display?

Also I need to go back and read the apex bit with regards to the energy bar and proper setup. Thanks for the questions. Thanks BRS for answers.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a filling material that you're aware of that would be nontoxic? I don't know much about these at all I'm just curious. I'm currently using a finnex 300w so maybe I need to make a change?
I use the Finnex 300W right now, and I'm not sure if it would be toxic or not. I reached out to them and they responded by saying it would not be toxic at normal operating temperatures but hadn't tested toxicity during an overheating failure.

Layman's terms here (sorry, I'm really dragging today - brutal work week) but this means no grounding probe would be required. If so, does this handle both sump and display?

Also I need to go back and read the apex bit with regards to the energy bar and proper setup. Thanks for the questions. Thanks BRS for answers.
Correct, no grounding probe needed. It would cover both the sump and display as long as the return pump is running.

Sandbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that you guys have come out with a line of heaters but I have a few questions....

Is the ground wire from the cord connected to the titanium housing or to an internal component?

Is the titanium housing filled with a potting material or is it air? If it is filled, has the filling used been confirmed to be relatively reef safe at elevated temperatures?

Are there bare electrical wires/elements inside the titanium housing or is it electrically insulated?

Thanks for any info you can provide, I'm hoping to be comfortable to use these as a replacement this fall.

How about a tip for those who have an Apex/Profilux that want redundancy but find adding an external temp controller too much? My GHL is set to maintain temp at 78F and my tank can get as high as 79.5. I have it programmed to alarm and send an email at 80.5F and it shuts down the return pump at 82F. I figure my tank can run for days with the return pump off but it can cook in under 8 hours.
As an extra measure of reliability I run a second temp probe in my DT. It generates the same alarm and shutdown as the probe that controls my heaters. I also have an alarm that lets me know if temperature deviates by 0.5F to let me know I have either lost my return pump or I have a temp probe issue.
Hello, how do you set up the Profilux to shut down the return pump if the temp gets too hot? I run GHL connect on my phone. Thank you!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, how do you set up the Profilux to shut down the return pump if the temp gets too hot? I run GHL connect on my phone. Thank you!
Honestly, I have no idea. I have only used the Windows version of the GHL software. If its similar, you use the GHL logic to create an "and" block with temperature as a running condition for the return pump socket.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back