BRS Manifold Plumbing help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon #AskBRSTV

I'm looking to plumb a manifold to connect to various reactors (algae, carbon/gfo, UV), and I'm having trouble finding the right parts on BRS' website. I was hoping for some advice on which parts to purchase.

The manifold is built of 3/4 pipe which will end in true union ball valves (slip). The UV reactor takes either of 5/8 and 1/2 tubing. The Phosban reactors take 1/2 tubing. I'm looking for the outputs to go into RO 1/4 quick connect bulkheads for easy disconnect.

I've tried figuring out the simplest way to do this and have ended up with a mess of a project. I'm hoping for some expert advice!

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon #AskBRSTV

I'm looking to plumb a manifold to connect to various reactors (algae, carbon/gfo, UV), and I'm having trouble finding the right parts on BRS' website. I was hoping for some advice on which parts to purchase.

The manifold is built of 3/4 pipe which will end in true union ball valves (slip). The UV reactor takes either of 5/8 and 1/2 tubing. The Phosban reactors take 1/2 tubing. I'm looking for the outputs to go into RO 1/4 quick connect bulkheads for easy disconnect.

I've tried figuring out the simplest way to do this and have ended up with a mess of a project. I'm hoping for some expert advice!

Have you called them? Their customer service is great and I’m sure they could help you find the right parts.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up doing a 1-1/4" to 1/2" slip reducer then into the 1/2" Spears gate valves. If you wanting to use John Guest QD connects then you will need to reduce after the valve to a thread then screw in a 1/4 in. O.D. x 1/4 in. NPTF Polypropylene Push-to-Connect Male Connector. You can see the manifold on my build thread. It is based on a design that I found on this forum but I forget the name of the original designer.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May i ask how big your tank is? 3/4" is a little small for a manifold system, to me anyway. I utilized several plumbing parts places when i built mine for the 120gal total system and i went with a 1" and used bushings to get down to the sizes i need. here is what i did it might help. I used sch 80 and all spears fittings and valves but you can do it for a ton less.

20190323_153555.thumb.jpg.52855532547748d84db0499393b426e6.jpg

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you called them? Their customer service is great and I’m sure they could help you find the right parts.

I haven't yet, but I need to call them anyways, so that's a great idea!

I ended up doing a 1-1/4" to 1/2" slip reducer then into the 1/2" Spears gate valves. If you wanting to use John Guest QD connects then you will need to reduce after the valve to a thread then screw in a 1/4 in. O.D. x 1/4 in. NPTF Polypropylene Push-to-Connect Male Connector. You can see the manifold on my build thread. It is based on a design that I found on this forum but I forget the name of the original designer.

I'll take a look at your build thread! That's about what what I've got planned if I can't find an easier way. Looking at the BRS 160 Manifold, it looks a lot simpler, so there's got to be a better way.

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May i ask how big your tank is? 3/4" is a little small for a manifold system, to me anyway. I utilized several plumbing parts places when i built mine for the 120gal total system and i went with a 1" and used bushings to get down to the sizes i need. here is what i did it might help. I used sch 80 and all spears fittings and valves but you can do it for a ton less.

20190323_153555.thumb.jpg.52855532547748d84db0499393b426e6.jpg

I have a 120g DT and a 40g sump. I run a bean animal overflow, and my two 1" pipes are dedicated to the main drain and emergency drain pipe. I originally wanted it reversed, with the 1" for the return pipe and the third pipe. However, for safety reasons, I ended up going with my current setup. Thank you so much for sharing! Looks like a beautiful sump!

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One suggestion I did was to use Union fittings before and after the manifold so that I could remove it and put in a PVC pipe cut to the same length in case I need to make any changes. I bought 3 unions making sure to glue the manifold unions in the same direction. The 3rd union is for the replacement pipe which fits right in.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 128 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back