BRS Rodi System Not working at all

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me start with some info before I discuss the problem.

I have a BRS 5 Stage premium plus 75GPD rodi system. I have been running it about every 2 weeks for about 4 months now. I haven’t changed any of the filters except the sediment filter a few times. I only make about 10-15 gallons per use. I always flush the system before and after use and I know whether it is flush or not so that is not the issue

Some things that happened and might have caused a problem I’m not sure are first of all the water system I use for the rodi only goes at around 50psi, when I first started the system I’ve gotten maybe 40-50 psi the highest but later on it decreased to maybe 20 and last week was maximum 10 psi. Last week for some reason the water source turned incredibly dirty, im talking the water was literally black. The sediment filter was destroyed in a few minutes and now my first carbon filter looks dirty as well. It took me like 8 hours to make ~5 gallons

I tried making water today and now I can’t even make water using the system. The output going into the system is still 50 psi but my system displays literally 0-1 psi and produced like a few drops. What is causing the issue? Could it be I need to change the carbon filter? It was said it would last 6-12 months but didn’t indicate how I could tell when I need to replace it without buying chlorine testers. The di filter seems to be okay as well as its black right now but not golden brown which is supposed to be when i change it.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you had some really bad source water for a bit. Particulates could certainly have gotten past the sediment filter to the carbon filters and clogged them prematurely. Ideally the sediment filter will pull anything out that might clog the carbon blocks but they will clog slowly over time even with the best sediment filter because they are not 100% effective. The pressure gauge is measuring pressure right before the RO membrane so if you replaced the sediment filter then the problem is most likely the first carbon block. I would try replacing that one. It looks like your system has a 2nd carbon block after the first? If so it's probably fine as the first one would have stopped sediment from reaching the second. If it were me I would move the old 2nd carbon block to next in line after the sediment filter and then put a new carbon block 3rd in line.

You could probably get a carbon block from the hardware store if you needed something in short order

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
replace all of the pre filters, and if you havent done so flush the membrane. the 'black' water clogged everything, as most likely your sediment filter is a greater micron than your carbon blocks, so some crud got past sediment and stuck in carbon block (which is why it's discolored too). di is probably ok but wont know until its producing water again. if 'black' water is a common issue add another sediment pre filter to the setup with a smaller micron value.

if you disconnect the line where the prefiltered water would enter the membrane and turn source water on does a decent water stream come out? if not filters are clogged. replace

Last edited:

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you've already gotten some good advice here, but I'll echo those who have suggested to change all of the pre-filters (sediment and carbon blocks). Since the PSI gauge on the BRS systems is after the pre-filters, but before the membrane, the info you've provided suggests that one or multiple of the pre-filters have become clogged. With source water as dirty as you described, this is almost certainly your issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Filters likely clogged and sediment in the lines which are small to begin with

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you getting your water from? If it’s your own well, you need to get a Well Company in to find out what the problem is, for your own personal health. If it’s a Municipal Water supply, that’s a broken or cracked pipe. BTW you are responsible for the pipe from the municipal shut off, that’s generally near the street, to your house. They are responsible for everything on the other side of that valve. If they “Municipal,” don’t want to fix it, get the neighbors involved.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you change a carbon filter on a RO unit you should flush it by removing the out tubing going to the membrane & let it run until clear, then re-connect the tubing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back