Bruised & Beat-up Wrasse

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My normally peaceful tank had some kind of Game of Thrones outbreak on Thursday which carried over until Friday.

Not sure who was the original instigator but my whip fin fairy wrasse had a big gash on his side Thursday evening (fed heavily then sent them all to bed early.) Friday afternoon I found him hiding in his sleeping cave and whenever he came out it was kinda of a group pile-on (even the chromis had a go at him.) Giant mirror at the end of the tank distracted everyone enough to break the cycle.

This am, the cuts look “ok” but he’s got an obvious band of bruising on his underbelly.
DC146BCB-8788-4C35-AF85-1C6D80561FE9.jpeg

Do I treat? If so how and with what?

135A012C-2239-42A4-B242-A754BFDD7117.jpeg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remove him to to a QT tank not only because you may need ABX’s but also until you can figure out who needs to come out. If you leave him then odds are you will find him dead from another beating.
Once in QT you could start dosing ABX’s to just help him heal faster, or you can just give him some quite time and observe him for infection.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in with him? What size tank?

OP
OP
Globalbutterfly

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock in order of introduction:
Two clowns
Three chromis
Watchman goby /pistol pair
Lawnmower benny
Fairy wrasse 4/18
Engineer goby
Large blonde Naso 5/18
Medium yellow tang 5/18
Flame angel
Tiny mandarin
Melanarus wrasse 12/18

Pretty sure it’s the melanarus. They’ve been getting along pretty well up to now so not sure what kicked it all off.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so hard to catch those guys in the reef tank. You could consider using Ruby Reef Rally. It's "usually" reef safe; but of course as always, your mileage could vary. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities and would be appropriate for the damage in the picture. Better in a 90 minute bath though.

OP
OP
Globalbutterfly

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fed him Hikari mysis with Kanaplex, Focus and Garlic Guard. He ate a decent amount (he’s never been a picky or shy eater). I’ll watch him and see how he goes.

OP
OP
Globalbutterfly

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the advice and hand holding. He’s doing much better and the bruising is all but gone. Swimming and eating as usual.

OP
OP
Globalbutterfly

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: everyone alive and healthy. Fairy seems fully healed and is eating like a pig - swimming and dominating the chromis as usual. Everything as “peaceful” as usual.

New unsubstantiated theory: I have a PITA BTA that has been playing musical chairs for the past month. Any chance his wandering and setting up camp in established dens, caves and sleeping areas could have caused an overall aggression outbreak?

I do have video of the melanarus wrasse attacking the BTA in an attempt to get him to move out of the cave he’d decided to occupy.

Back