Bryopsis and fluconazole

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bryopsis in my nano reef(5 gallon) and it's just started to spread, I had it on a zoa frag but I didn't know what it was and I waited to long to remove the frag. I've read that fluconazole will get rid of it, my question is does it matter what kind of fluconazole, does it have to be fish safe or will something I pick up for humans at the store work? I want to get this under control before it becomes a serious issue as I've seen online.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bryopsis in my nano reef(5 gallon) and it's just started to spread, I had it on a zoa frag but I didn't know what it was and I waited to long to remove the frag. I've read that fluconazole will get rid of it, my question is does it matter what kind of fluconazole, does it have to be fish safe or will something I pick up for humans at the store work? I want to get this under control before it becomes a serious issue as I've seen online.
You should get the fish safe in 200mg capsule form. Preferably but you only need one capsule. If you can find a 200 mg capsule or in your case a 100mg will do, that is human safe it should be okay. The tablets however don't work very well they leave a lot of residue. A big system can handle the residue however I don't know if I would use a crushed tablet on a 5-gallon.

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get the fish safe in 200mg capsule form. Preferably but you only need one capsule. If you can find a 200 mg capsule or in your case a 100mg will do, that is human safe it should be okay. The tablets however don't work very well they leave a lot of residue. A big system can handle the residue however I don't know if I would use a crushed tablet on a 5-gallon.
Where could I get it? I looked online and the veterinary sites require a script and it's like 60-70$ everywhere else? Is that a correct price?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JVS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone no where I can get 200mg capsules of fluconazole online for a good price and how much is a good price for this?

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone no where I can get 200mg capsules of fluconazole online for a good price and how much is a good price for this?
I cannot find it now but there was a post by someone who gave complete directions on dosing fluconazole and I wish I could find it. I have thefluconazole but I am wondering if I does just once or is it once a week. Seems to me the person that wrote this said one dose and in 14 days the nasty stuff is gone. Does anyone have that link? /thanks.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot find it now but there was a post by someone who gave complete directions on dosing fluconazole and I wish I could find it. I have thefluconazole but I am wondering if I does just once or is it once a week. Seems to me the person that wrote this said one dose and in 14 days the nasty stuff is gone. Does anyone have that link? /thanks.
Where to get it is at post #4 above ;)

Yes it is dose once. If it's truly bryopsis and not GHA it should be gone in 14 days. 21 if GHA in most cases.

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to see a Tang or snail eat this stuff. It is almost impossible to pull out roots and all as it seems like the roots are embedded in the rock pretty darn good. It will just grow back so do not waste your time trying to remove it.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the affected rocks out and chipped out areas with bryopsis on it about half inch or so deep then poured peroxide on that area and let it sit for 10 min and it worked. If you catch it early enough it works great. Dont do too much live rock with peroxide at once (only affected area) since its a small tank

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the affected rocks out and chipped out areas with bryopsis on it about half inch or so deep then poured peroxide on that area and let it sit for 10 min and it worked. If you catch it early enough it works great. Dont do too much live rock with peroxide at once (only affected area) since its a small tank
Well thank you but I don't want to go through all that trouble. I will try the fluco method. I already had to tear a tank down once because of that #%&*@#$# stuff.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back