Bryopsis and gha

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
Hello.
I have a bryopsis and gha problem in my 150g dt and sump combined aquarium. I have tried manually scrubbing it off the aquascape however they keep coming back and now have taken over almost all the walls and rock. I have been reading. Lot about Fluconazole lately. I would like to know what’s your take on the Fluconazole treatment.
Thanking uou
Z

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks for replying. I’m just worried because there are many who have had luck with this treatment however for some their corals have taken a hit. Hence skeptical.
Thread 'Micro dose of flucozanole' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/micro-dose-of-flucozanole.977658/

Try a very small dose first. As it died off it will release a lot of nitrates and phosphates. So be prepared to deal with it. You could do a series of micro doses with water changes between for nutrient export. Space the treatments out a bit.

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal experience: I've used fluc in a mixed tank and frag tank. Nothing harmed.

Took out both of those algae's. It also put a major hit on the bubble algae that was later wiped out by rabbitfish.

I was worried about using it too but it was good for me with no harm .

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a combination of Fluconazole and Algaefix for about a month to try to rid my tank of a combination of hair algae and bryopsis. Bryopsis was eradicated but the hair algae was minimally affected (perhaps slowed?).

As for inhabitants - I didn't see any impact to any corals: SPS (mostly acros of multiple types), Frogspawn, Avleopora, Zoas, Blastomusa, Gorgonian, Nepthea (and probably some more).

I did notice that most of my feather dusters and filter feeding sea cucumbers went MIA during the treatment. Some came back weeks later but others never returned. I can't be sure it was the treatment, nor which chemical was the cause.

OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread 'Micro dose of flucozanole' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/micro-dose-of-flucozanole.977658/

Try a very small dose first. As it died off it will release a lot of nitrates and phosphates. So be prepared to deal with it. You could do a series of micro doses with water changes between for nutrient export. Space the treatments out a bit.
Hi. Thanks for replying.
I have Chaeto and miracle mud in my sump. Should I remove those as well? And if removed can I keep it in a bucket of tank water which will remain stagnant for 2 weeks?

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hi. Thanks for replying.
I have Chaeto and miracle mud in my sump. Should I remove those as well? And if removed can I keep it in a bucket of tank water which will remain stagnant for 2 weeks?
The miracle mud should be fine, the chaeto should be removed.

As for it being stagnant for 2 weeks, I doubt it. I have not had chaeto, butI would think it would need some movement, air stone or something and some light.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back