Bta coral compatible?

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a young 20g cube and plan on it being an anemone tank with 2 clowns.

I won't be putting on in till at least the 6 month mark. I have the opportunity to get a few corals from a local reefer and want to make sure they are all good to be in with bta's.

I assume zoas and mushrooms are safe, right? What about a green long polyp leather?

I think I would add these when I turn my light on and use these as a baseline for when I can add a bta.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, all corals are "compatible" with a nem as long as the nem isn't close enough to sting them. However, nems have a tenancy to move at first. With a 20 gallon cube, chances are it will make its way around the tank at least once (not taking into account the very real possibility of it splitting). I have a nem in my tank with corals surrounding it on all sides. As it grows and moves (no clue why since its been in the same spot for a year and a half), it stings stuff. My last acro, I had to move because it had killed half of it. The zoas it covers, obviously stop growing. But I will say, if it moves, the zoas always come back. So, I think you want to shoot for hardiness as there is a good chance at some point some corals will get stung. I think all of the corals you just mentioned will be fine (including the leather). However, I would be prepared to move them away from the nem if/when it moves. Just my take.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, all corals are "compatible" with a nem as long as the nem isn't close enough to sting them. However, nems have a tenancy to move at first. With a 20 gallon cube, chances are it will make its way around the tank at least once (not taking into account the very real possibility of it splitting). I have a nem in my tank with corals surrounding it on all sides. As it grows and moves (no clue why since its been in the same spot for a year and a half), it stings stuff. My last acro, I had to move because it had killed half of it. The zoas it covers, obviously stop growing. But I will say, if it moves, the zoas always come back. So, I think you want to shoot for hardiness as there is a good chance at some point some corals will get stung. I think all of the corals you just mentioned will be fine (including the leather). However, I would be prepared to move them away from the nem if/when it moves. Just my take.
That's kind of what I was thinking, about moving/splitting in a small tank. I was more concerned about the anemones being bothered by the others, but sounds like they are more the aggressors.

Thanks for the feedback.

bherbold8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of what I was thinking, about moving/splitting in a small tank. I was more concerned about the anemones being bothered by the others, but sounds like they are more the aggressors.

Thanks for the feedback.
Are you still waiting 6 months ?! Asking for a friend

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still waiting 6 months ?! Asking for a friend
Well that WAS the plan, and I was sticking to it till this last live sale lol.

I picked up an acid wash bta that will be coming the 19th, so I guess it will actually be close to the 6 month mark when it goes into my DT.

Screenshot_20210308-165513.png

Got a great price on one like this so wish me luck!

bherbold8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that WAS the plan, and I was sticking to it till this last live sale lol.

I picked up an acid wash bta that will be coming the 19th, so I guess it will actually be close to the 6 month mark when it goes into my DT.

Screenshot_20210308-165513.png

Got a great price on one like this so wish me luck!

bherbold8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous ! Where will you put it ? It's just funny how everyone starts their build plans with saying they will wait x amount of time and I think it rarely happens haha people should update what it need up happening so people have a more clear idea of what can and cannot be successful! (I'm guilty )

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous ! Where will you put it ? It's just funny how everyone starts their build plans with saying they will wait x amount of time and I think it rarely happens haha people should update what it need up happening so people have a more clear idea of what can and cannot be successful! (I'm guilty )
I think I'm going to try lower front right side, and see where it travels from there lol. I was so proud of myself how I was sticking to the plan and I still caved early.

16152468407418053420645720944054.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back