BTA half inflated

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I’m concerned my BTA isn’t healthy. About 2 weeks ago I had a small outbreak of cyano. I’ve since done a few water changes and it seems the cyano is at bay. At the same time the cyano showed up my BTA stopped looking full and beautiful. It’s since only been half inflated and I think I’ve even seen a few pieces of tentacle in the sand. I’ve check parameters and they all seem with in tolerance. I even tried directing more flow over it thinking it need more. What do you think?
Salinity - 1.025
PH - 8.4
Alkalinity - 7.3
Nitrate, phosphate, ammonia - 0
Temp - 77-78
The system is about 10 months old and this anemone is one of the oldest members in the tank. I’ve never had any issues with him. The tentacles are are inflated almost seem to be too inflated and a little translucent.
Thanks for the help

2021C277-30B5-4E0D-A748-F2B2241687B8.jpeg ECB2D8CD-B2A5-4E50-BCA0-C09E480F64B9.jpeg 964EEC12-D821-487C-ABB1-7C94CAF414DE.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I’m concerned my BTA isn’t healthy. About 2 weeks ago I had a small outbreak of cyano. I’ve since done a few water changes and it seems the cyano is at bay. At the same time the cyano showed up my BTA stopped looking full and beautiful. It’s since only been half inflated and I think I’ve even seen a few pieces of tentacle in the sand. I’ve check parameters and they all seem with in tolerance. I even tried directing more flow over it thinking it need more. What do you think?
Salinity - 1.025
PH - 8.4
Alkalinity - 7.3
Nitrate, phosphate, ammonia - 0
Temp - 77-78
The system is about 10 months old and this anemone is one of the oldest members in the tank. I’ve never had any issues with him. The tentacles are are inflated almost seem to be too inflated and a little translucent.
Thanks for the help

2021C277-30B5-4E0D-A748-F2B2241687B8.jpeg ECB2D8CD-B2A5-4E50-BCA0-C09E480F64B9.jpeg 964EEC12-D821-487C-ABB1-7C94CAF414DE.jpeg
Got pics under white?

Also at first glance, your parameters are not supportive of a bta. They like a little nitrate and phosphate. You may be starving the algae inside of the nem with no nutrients.

it does need to be said that if you are using API for testing nitrate and phosphate may not be at 0 either.

The cyano can also irritate them, and it also strips nutrients from the water faster than the nem can consume them.

For now, my suggestion is to bring nutrients up if they are actually 0. Feed a little heavier, run the fuge less (if you have one) and be patient. Nems are fickle critters and typically do not like sudden changes.

OP
OP
Auqaman

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some better pics. I only have 3 fish in the tank at the moment. But was planning on getting a few more in a week or so.

Attachments

• A875AD14-9625-4BF1-9149-4BC30D735CE5.jpeg
    A875AD14-9625-4BF1-9149-4BC30D735CE5.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 70
  • D2FEEFB7-3812-4303-A30D-454E38EFC21F.jpeg
    D2FEEFB7-3812-4303-A30D-454E38EFC21F.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 61BE36D6-BA2C-42B5-8634-130C64FA25DE.jpeg
    61BE36D6-BA2C-42B5-8634-130C64FA25DE.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 60
  • E49EDDC0-011B-4D80-95B5-992BEF80B3B7.jpeg
    E49EDDC0-011B-4D80-95B5-992BEF80B3B7.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 71

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some better pics. I only have 3 fish in the tank at the moment. But was planning on getting a few more in a week or so.
Almost looks like it may be trying to split. Hard to tell from pics. But it surely is annoyed.
For now, just feed a little more to the 3 fish you have. Do not directly feed the nem and observe it. Try not to make any changes to the tank either. For the cyano, need to find the root cause. It can be to high or low of nutrients and lack of biodiversity at the same time. I am leaning towards low nutrients allowing cyano to get a foot hold for a bit. This is where you need to be careful, as low nutrients can bring on Dinos and Dinos suck.

The tank being 10 months old, should be fine for a bta, as long as it stays stable.

But again, just be patient and report back every so often with updates or if another issue arises with the nem.

Also, a full tank shot may be able to help get an overall condition of the tank and the health of it. No shame here if it is not the greatest. We all here to help.

OP
OP
Auqaman

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was trying to split, but it’s been going on 2 weeks now. I’m okay with it being annoyed as long as it’s not dying (although I’m sure being annoyed can lead to it dying).
here’s an overall picture

Attachments

• E001C34C-100D-49E9-BECA-C1C0712BDDB5.jpeg
    E001C34C-100D-49E9-BECA-C1C0712BDDB5.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 74

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was trying to split, but it’s been going on 2 weeks now. I’m okay with it being annoyed as long as it’s not dying (although I’m sure being annoyed can lead to it dying).
here’s an overall picture
That doesn’t look too bad. Still a little new looking, but as long as it stays stable, no worries there. Parameters are only low on nutrients. You can remove skimmer cup and just let overflow into sump for a bit to help bring those up. Lighting is 2 primes, so plenty of light provided they are not at 20% or so.

But as for dying, the nem looks nowhere close to that. Just seriously annoyed, which if left unchecked long enough can stress it into dying.

I say work on bring nutrients up slowly. A little extra feeding for the fishes. Even if it is a few more times a day. Fish poop is good lol.

Watch nem for full inflation and deflation cycles and note when it does it, if it does.

You might try to face powerheads a little more to the surface to see if that helps. Water line looks very calm. It could simply be a gas exchange issue.

Do the powerhead thing when you can watch the tank all day to see how the nem reacts. Don’t want it to wander and get into one.

OP
OP
Auqaman

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t look too bad. Still a little new looking, but as long as it stays stable, no worries there. Parameters are only low on nutrients. You can remove skimmer cup and just let overflow into sump for a bit to help bring those up. Lighting is 2 primes, so plenty of light provided they are not at 20% or so.

But as for dying, the nem looks nowhere close to that. Just seriously annoyed, which if left unchecked long enough can stress it into dying.

I say work on bring nutrients up slowly. A little extra feeding for the fishes. Even if it is a few more times a day. Fish poop is good lol.

Watch nem for full inflation and deflation cycles and note when it does it, if it does.

You might try to face powerheads a little more to the surface to see if that helps. Water line looks very calm. It could simply be a gas exchange issue.

Do the powerhead thing when you can watch the tank all day to see how the nem reacts. Don’t want it to wander and get into one.
Thanks for the help. I like the idea of removing the skimmer cup. Never heard of that before. I’ll try that and a little more feeding

OP
OP
Auqaman

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I figured out the problem.
I was blasting some algae off the rocks around the anemone...thinking it was the algae making him upset. I released the turkey baster bulb too close to one of his tentacles and accidentally sucked one into the baster. He retracted into himself for protection.
When he inflated a couple hours later he was uniformly inflated. Not like he was before which was half inflated half not.
I think the issue was his body and foot were so deeply embedded in the rocks that he stopped controlling the other half that was deflated (the part that was inflated had the mouth).

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK a bit low in my view. I maintain 8-8.5 range. Also, how are you checking your salinity? Refractometer? It is a pinch low.

OP
OP
Auqaman

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright it finally split!!! What an ordeal. This is my first experience with having an anemone split. It literally took weeks.
yesterday he went deep into the rocks and one came out on the other side.
so I guess I’ll leave them alone for a few days then start feeding them??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 43

RocksNStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright it finally split!!! What an ordeal. This is my first experience with having an anemone split. It literally took weeks.
yesterday he went deep into the rocks and one came out on the other side.
so I guess I’ll leave them alone for a few days then start feeding them??
That's awesome! Glad to hear it ended this way.

Blownz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had some BTA’s, Sebae anemones, which some I even bought bleached and brought to life. Sold them all. Picked up two BTA’s one bleached other alittle better colored. My tank is spotless with no algae and is very clean and i vodka dose. Mine don’t expand open all the way either and I have next to nothing for nitrates as cleaned the tank a lot during Covid shut down. So definitely my issue as everything else has been healthy for years and pods from my other dirtier tank disappear quickly when I add them too as nothing to eat.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back