BTA help please, they are not doing good

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three bubble tip anemones in a small tank. I just bought a large mature tank, healthy anemones and fish, and brought it home on Sunday evening. They did the move in buckets fine, were opening Sunday night and Monday.

I have been cleaning the main tank, and I have all fish in one backup tank and anemones (they were on the rock) in another small tank with their water and rock.

The nems have a small power head for low/moderate flow, no light, and the original water, good parameters.

Two smaller rainbow anemones fell off the rock this morning and are laying on the bottom glass face down, pretty shrunken up. The very large rose is in a clay pot, is not opening much,

Please, any suggestions what to do. Do they need light, I thought a couple of days without would be ok.

Do they need a heater? My house doesn’t fluctuate very much, it’s a small tank so their water is a little cooler 72’. I just added a heater in case, at least for stability.

There’s no filter on this tank because it’s only for a couple of days until the main tank gets set up.

I don’t want to put them in my original tank with fish or the new qt tank with fish, don’t want them to die and kill my fish.

Please help before I lose the rainbows! They’re beautiful. Their tips are still moving so I know they’re alive, but I don’t want to move them unnecessarily until I know what to do. Thank you so much

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they need a heater, thats probably number 1 issue. Also thats a big move, probably super stressed. Lights being off is good. Is this tank you have them in cycled?

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they need a heater, thats probably number 1 issue. Also thats a big move, probably super stressed. Lights being off is good. Is this tank you have them in cycled?
Thanks. I added a heater to at least give them a more stable temp (swings usually only a couple of degrees in my house)
No light yet, was hoping they’d be ok without temporarily, glad you agree, I’ll keep it off
Tank is a just 6 gallon cube that was empty. I put their original water that I brought them in, and a large 2 year old rock they were on in there. Plus a small power head so there would be flow. It is only until I filled up the new tank, should be filled tonight.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I added a heater to at least give them a more stable temp (swings usually only a couple of degrees in my house)
No light yet, was hoping they’d be ok without temporarily, glad you agree, I’ll keep it off
Tank is a just 6 gallon cube that was empty. I put their original water that I brought them in, and a large 2 year old rock they were on in there. Plus a small power head so there would be flow. It is only until I filled up the new tank, should be filled tonight.
Just curious was this water you pulled before or after you disturbed that old sandbed that was in the old tank before you broke it down? If you pulled the water before, then its fine, but if you pulled that water after you had started removing stuff and disturbed that sandbed, it could be abunch of stuff in that water that you disturbed, and could be toxic. I'd test ammonia.

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious was this water you pulled before or after you disturbed that old sandbed that was in the old tank before you broke it down? If you pulled the water before, then its fine, but if you pulled that water after you had started removing stuff and disturbed that sandbed, it could be abunch of stuff in that water that you disturbed, and could be toxic. I'd test ammonia.
We filled buckets before stirring sand bed. Also to be safe I checked ammonia and it’s 0. I imagine it’s due to stress but I wasn’t expecting two of them to drop off the rocks. Also, first nem for me so it did scare me, I’ll keep an eye on them today. Still doesn’t look right to have them face down not attached to anything

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We filled buckets before stirring sand bed. Also to be safe I checked ammonia and it’s 0. I imagine it’s due to stress but I wasn’t expecting two of them to drop off the rocks. Also, first nem for me so it did scare me, I’ll keep an eye on them today. Still doesn’t look right to have them face down not attached to anything
if they're face down, flip them over. Heat and flow....

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should not have become unstuck, once stuck.
Check parameters closely.
They are certainly reacting to something.
They need the normal lighting period and intensity.

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should not have become unstuck, once stuck.
Check parameters closely.
They are certainly reacting to something.
They need the normal lighting period and intensity.
Thanks. Temp without lights from Sunday until now while I rebuild the tanks. I’ll get them on some light asap

Jlew766

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temp did you set it at water temperature I keep mine at is 77 to 78 degrees and make sure you get the right light for them as any light will not do

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temp did you set it at water temperature I keep mine at is 77 to 78 degrees and make sure you get the right light for them as any light will not do
Just added a heater into the tank this morning it’s at 75. I’ll bump it up again in a bit so it’s not such a shocking change.
Btw, do you know why their foot is inflating? Both have inflated a little, like balloons.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back