bubble coral growth

jbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 years ago I set up a basic reef tank and one of the first specimens was a bubble coral. It seems healthy but is Much larger than I expected. Did I make a nutrient or chemistry mistake? (The ruler in the pics is 12")

WP_20180722_17_25_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20180722_17_25_52_Pro.jpg

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that really a bubble coral :eek: holy cow it's huge!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That IS a bug bubble coral ! don't put you finger near that mouth !
think it might could use more light? Maybe why it's all spread out like that .

LeBranche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!!!!!...I’ve seen on YouTube from milehighreefer with one that big and can’t wait for mine to get like that..... I have a small pearl bubble.... what and how freq are you feeding?? I feed mine a piece of shrimp last week and seems to be hungry every night ever since.

OP
OP
J

jbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that really a bubble coral :eek: holy cow it's huge!
Yeah, Plerogyra sinuosa. Got it as a tiny little thing a couple of years ago and now it is taking over the tank.

OP
OP
J

jbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. Impressive specimen!
I'm glad to hear that noone has said there i
Beautiful!!!!!...I’ve seen on YouTube from milehighreefer with one that big and can’t wait for mine to get like that..... I have a small pearl bubble.... what and how freq are you feeding?? I feed mine a piece of shrimp last week and seems to be hungry every night ever since.
We got it about 2 years ago as a little thing. At first it was in a 30 gallon nano tank and then moved to a new 65 gal tank. It is a basic low-tech setup. I have one yellow tang and a couple of cleaner shrimp. I change out 10 gallons of water every week, feed with Marine Snow, and give defrosted mysis shrimp every two weeks. I have trouble keeping the alkalinity of this larger tank above 8, so it has been pretty low. Another member suggested that low lighting might account for the sprawl. It seems happy. My problem is it is crowding out the rest of the coral. I lost a few minor coral to it's sweeper tentacles. Just the thought of moving it gives me chills.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so there are different verities? Some grow very large some stay smaller . didn't know that .

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back