Bubble Coral Problems...

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble coral got covered about 2/3 of the way with sand courtesy of my pistol shrimp. I was at work for ~24 hours before I came home to find the problem. I uncovered the coral, and it's looked like the picture below for a week or two now. I attempted to feed it in the picture below, but didn't get much of a response. The coral still puts out its sweeper tentacles at night. Any suggestions to help it heal or input on it's prognosis?

TIA!

IMG_9035.JPG

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble coral got covered about 2/3 of the way with sand courtesy of my pistol shrimp. I was at work for ~24 hours before I came home to find the problem. I uncovered the coral, and it's looked like the picture below for a week or two now. I attempted to feed it in the picture below, but didn't get much of a response. The coral still puts out its sweeper tentacles at night. Any suggestions to help it heal or input on it's prognosis?

TIA!

IMG_9035.JPG

Hi!

Hopefully it will be ok. I lost my bubble coral in similar circumstances and it never recovered from the sand pile.

I don’t think you can do much else than keeping an eye on it and hope it heals.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like its pulled away from the base skeleton quite a bit, not much more you can do other than to keep excellent water conditions, flow, and lighting, and see if it recovers. Occassional direct feeding may help as well.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. @Crabs Mcjones that's the entire portion that was covered by sand. I thought the idea of a goby/pistol shrimp combo was cool in the beginning, but he is a real pain and I hardly ever see them....Only see their messes ;Shifty

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like its pulled away from the base skeleton quite a bit, not much more you can do other than to keep excellent water conditions, flow, and lighting, and see if it recovers. Occassional direct feeding may help as well.
Unsure what yall consider excellent flow... but for these corals excellent means low flow imo

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure what yall consider excellent flow... but for these corals excellent means low flow imo
By excellent I mean whatever the coral in question requires

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it sitting in one of the front corners on the sand bed. It’s probably in one of the lowest flow spots in my tank. It was quite happy daily until the sand incident occurred.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not looking too hot. Last night I noticed the skeleton showing in the last section that has bubbles remaining. I believe my butterflyfish is picking at it too now that it’s distressed. I’ve been covering it with a container that is clear with holes for flow to try and protect it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back