Bubble on fish

gettergejetter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, here I am again asking for help.

I noticed today that there are some transparent bubbles on my cardinalfish's left side. The fish was staying most of the time in the corner of the tank ( quits the corner sometimes ) since a few days but I didn't think much of it because it actually looked healthy. But today I spotted those bubbles on him. Also looked closely while feeding today and he didn't eat :-( . I've never seen this before in forums or anywhere else. After a little bit of research I found that there is a disease called gas bubble disease but couldn't find a lot of information about it after a short research session.

Could this be gas bubble disease and if it is do you guys have more information about how to handle it and what could have cause it?

As always, help would be much appreciated :)

ps. On the pics you can see the bubbles on the bottom left of the fish. Also his body is deformed (bigger) on the left side. If you can't see it I'll try to make somme better pics, thx.

20211104_195005.jpg
20211104_195002 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, here I am again asking for help.

I noticed today that there are some transparent bubbles on my cardinalfish's left side. The fish was staying most of the time in the corner of the tank ( quits the corner sometimes ) since a few days but I didn't think much of it because it actually looked healthy. But today I spotted those bubbles on him. Also looked closely while feeding today and he didn't eat :-( . I've never seen this before in forums or anywhere else. After a little bit of research I found that there is a disease called gas bubble disease but couldn't find a lot of information about it after a short research session.

Could this be gas bubble disease and if it is do you guys have more information about how to handle it and what could have cause it?

As always, help would be much appreciated :)

ps. On the pics you can see the bubbles on the bottom left of the fish. Also his body is deformed (bigger) on the left side. If you can't see it I'll try to make somme better pics, thx.

20211104_195005.jpg
20211104_195002 (1).jpg
Is the bubble coming out from under the gill cover? This species is very prone to developing goiter, and that looks much like a bubble. If not, then gas bubble disease is a possibility, but it is rare to see. Seahorses get it quite often, and nobody really knows why. In most other fish, it is related to gas supersaturation. This is a specific issue where nitrogen gas gets injected into the water and greater than saturation levels. It them comes out of solution and develops gas bubbles in the fish, usually under the skin. This does not look like that, but two ways this can happen is if your tank has a sump and the level drops too low, allowing air to be captured by the return pump. Another cause is any air leak that develops on the suction side of a pump. Air bubbles in the water do not cause this, they actually help de-gas the water.

Can you try for clearer pictures, taken under white light?

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
gettergejetter

gettergejetter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bubble coming out from under the gill cover? This species is very prone to developing goiter, and that looks much like a bubble. If not, then gas bubble disease is a possibility, but it is rare to see. Seahorses get it quite often, and nobody really knows why. In most other fish, it is related to gas supersaturation. This is a specific issue where nitrogen gas gets injected into the water and greater than saturation levels. It them comes out of solution and develops gas bubbles in the fish, usually under the skin. This does not look like that, but two ways this can happen is if your tank has a sump and the level drops too low, allowing air to be captured by the return pump. Another cause is any air leak that develops on the suction side of a pump. Air bubbles in the water do not cause this, they actually help de-gas the water.

Can you try for clearer pictures, taken under white light?

Jay Hemdal

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your response. No it's not under the gill cover it's towards the rear bottom left. There are those bubbles + the tissue seems to be damaged and is swollen.

Hmm, I can't think of any place where air could be drawn in except one place where I have (sometimes) some water swirling over the return nozzle. Could this be enough to make trouble? I mean it's like this since ages.

I'll try to make better pics today and will post again.

Oli

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Thanks for your response. No it's not under the gill cover it's towards the rear bottom left. There are those bubbles + the tissue seems to be damaged and is swollen.

Hmm, I can't think of any place where air could be drawn in except one place where I have (sometimes) some water swirling over the return nozzle. Could this be enough to make trouble? I mean it's like this since ages.

I'll try to make better pics today and will post again.

Oli
Better pictures may help, so would a short video. Just be sure they are taken under white, not blue lights.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back